Wonderful wine making story...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowan57

Reaction score
I went to purchase a used Carboy (54L, old style) from a chap today who had advertised 6 for sale on Ebay. He was from an Italian family in a big Italian community in my local city. The Carboys were his late father's, who made wine every year when the community imported trucks of grapes from Italy.

The chap had built a wine cellar - very unusual in an area not known for basements or cellars as a lot of the land is below sea level. The Dad had kept making wine right up until he passed away, the wine cellar was full, there were 4-5 54L Carboys full of wine bulk ageing, and about 50 what i think are 2L bottles of 10yo wine on a bench.

I purchased the carboy and offered the chap a little extra to chuck in a bottle of wine - what could be more of an honour than trying the wine (particularly as it is a wild fermented wine) that the Carboy used to hold, I should add he was more than happy to do so, I think pleased to see someone so young taking an interest.

All in all, it was a delightful morning and so wonderful to see wine made in a 'traditional' way. I now have a 2L bottle to try at some point as well! Every time I see something like this it gives me a deepening respect for those who came before us and are no longer with us.

Back