Effects of too much malto-dextrine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bredle

Reaction score
I brewed an extract Pliny the Elder clone tonight with an OG of 1.078. Essentially 9lbs of light LME, 1/2lbs light DME, and 1lbs corn sugar.

The recipe called for 1/2lbs of Maltodextrine, and I accidentally added 1lb. What will this do to the final brew?

Thanks for any help!

Ok - so no more ABV (because it's unfermentable), and no more sweetness as well? Just a little 'thicker' tasting IPA?

I've never seen both corn sugar (for thinning body) and maltodextrine (to add body) in the same recipe. Not that it doesn't work or whatever, but it seems counterproductive.

Also, I remember Pliny being really dry (and not needing the m.d.)...but God knows my memory blows.

I've never seen both corn sugar (for thinning body) and maltodextrine (to add body) in the same recipe. Not that it doesn't work or whatever, but it seems counterproductive.

Also, I remember Pliny being really dry (and not needing the m.d.)...but God knows my memory blows.

Good job keeping with the theme of the thread. :ban:

OP, I wonder if it'll feel thicker.

I use it in my stouts, that much will probably give you a "chewey" mouthfeel. Shouldn't really effect taste just mouthfeel.

Latest posts

Back