What's a Good British Ale Yeast for Hop-Forward Pale Ales/Bitters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambuckens

Reaction score
Hello All!

Would anyone be able to recommend some of their favorite yeast strains for an IPA/extra special bitter (I'm shooting for the 1.045-1.060 OG range). I'm a huge fan of London ESB 1968, but I've only used it when brewing double IPAs. I'm worried it wouldn't taste right with a lighter, pale ale-style beer. Can anyone point me in a good direction?

Cheers!
Sam

im only just starting on liquid yeasts so i can only reccomend you what dry i would use..

danstar nottingham ale yeast
or
safale us-05

For this brew, I'll be adding about 2 oz. of primary and 2 oz. of secondary dry hops. I really want a yeast that will pack a fruity, bitter punch to these dry hop additions. Do these yeasts you've recommended fit this style?

Just to be sure, you do realize that you're not getting bitterness from the dry hop additions or the yeast, really.

fermentis Safale S-04 and Lallemand Nottingham or Windsor will give authentic British flavour profiles. I've had great results using s-04 and Nottingham, both rehydrated before pitching, fermenting down low at about 14C to 16C for the first few days. Higher, within reason, ferm temps during the initial attenuation will bring out more of the fruity esters.

for a 5.3 gallon batch I tend to use Northern Brewer, 10.3% aa (38g) and Nugget, 14.1% aa (10g) for my bittering (60 mins) additions then Kent Goldings, 5.1% aa (30g per addition) for 15 min and 5 min flavour/aroma, then dry hop with around 20g for 7 days.

Edited to say that the above is for an OG of around 1.068 or slightly higher.

Lol that's what I said earlier. You have 3 votes for us04 or Notty. That's practically gospel on the internet.

Back