Is there any reason a beginner shouldn't use a keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerepd

Reaction score
Hey there

First off, I've been glued to this site since I started brewing my first beer on christmas, so thank you all for your indirect support!

I brewed my first beer with a 4 gallon stock pot and my next beer needs to be a full boil.

I have a spare keg, and I'm buying a burner (afraid to do a full boil on my glass stove)

I've read several tutorials on how to make the keggle and I've got the resources to do it.

Are there any cons to doing extract brewing this way?

No cons at all, only pros. If you have the technology, go for it. But, I have to give you a warning.....it won't stop there. :mug:

rogerepd said:
Hey there First off, I've been glued to this site since I started brewing my first beer on christmas, so thank you all for your indirect support! I brewed my first beer with a 4 gallon stock pot and my next beer needs to be a full boil. I have a spare keg, and I'm buying a burner (afraid to do a full boil on my glass stove) I've read several tutorials on how to make the keggle and I've got the resources to do it. Are there any cons to doing extract brewing this way?

What way? Full boil? It won't hurt anything. You may get better hop utilization, so it might be worth your while (if you are really worried about reproducing a recipe exactly or you REALLY want it to style) to recreate the recipe with a calculator to hit IBU as per the original recipe.

But no, it won't hurt anything. And it will be nice to have the resource moving forward.

I did two partial boil extracts that were terrible..switched to all grain with kegs and never looked back. My first batch was 1000% better.

Go for it! But you'll be doing brew in a bag (BIAB) before you know it and the igloo MLT ain't far behind! Welcome to your new obsession!!!

I say it's a great idea! In fact that's how I started brewing didn't want to mess around with extract brews, so I just started all grain.

The only downside is that, if you're going to use an immersion chiller, you'll have to design/make your own. 15.5 gallon keggles are deeper than brew kettles. None of the chillers that I've seen at the stores (local and online) would sit down far enough inside to be fully submerged in the wort.

I use a keggle for my E-BIAB rig and opted to recirculate through a plate chiller because of this (plus my 5500W electric element would get in the way of an immersion chiller).

You could make one like the one shown below except have the vertical pipes longer. I built that from 22ft of 1/2" ID tubing (shaped by forming it around the inside of a 5 gallon bucket), 1/2" copper hard pipe, soldered slip joints and garden hose connections. It chilled very well.
kettleandchiller-s_zpsafa76cd5.jpg

Welcome. I started the same way- as have many here.

And Hammy and Tanstabhave it right: there is no stopping the obssession once it starts. I started 3 years ago and now grow hops, have a kegerator, and brew every chance I get.

The only downside is that, if you're going to use an immersion chiller, you'll have to design/make your own. 15.5 gallon keggles are deeper than brew kettles. None of the chillers that I've seen at the stores (local and online) would sit down far enough inside to be fully submerged in the wort.

I use a keggle for my E-BIAB rig and opted to recirculate through a plate chiller because of this (plus my 5500W electric element would get in the way of an immersion chiller).

You could make one like the one shown below except have the vertical pipes longer. I built that from 22ft of 1/2" ID tubing (shaped by forming it around the inside of a 5 gallon bucket), 1/2" copper hard pipe, soldered slip joints and garden hose connections. It chilled very well.
kettleandchiller-s_zpsafa76cd5.jpg

I just made one using 20' of 3/8...that was before I decided I wanted a bigger brew kettle...

BigFloyd makes a great point that you'll need a chiller. However, I bought the "Copper Coil Immersion Chiller 50 Feet Length" from Learn To Brew LLC off Amazon and it works great in my keggle. It has soldered brass connections on long inlet/ outlet risers...love it!

This is how it begins! Next you'll be hitting up Bobby M at BrewHardware for some valves and a diptube, cause you can't pour wort from a keggle...might as well get that Chugger pump while your at it and some quick disconnects and silicone hose. Then you'll need a hop spider, because the whirlpool you made is still picking up too much crap and clogging your pump.The one you make out of a 5gal paint strainer will be ok, but eventually you'll pull the trigger on that beauty from Stainless Brewing! Oh, and don't forget the mill...the crush at the LHBS seems to keep you locked around 60% efficiency.........

Bwaaaaaahaaahaaahaa!!!!!

Go for it! But you'll be doing brew in a bag (BIAB) before you know it and the igloo MLT ain't far behind! Welcome to your new obsession!!!

Obsession? What do you mean? Spending every second of downtime at work reading "how to brew" and browsing the forums? Or constantly thinking about what I'm brewing next?

Back