Tube/Hose Diameter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd2448

Reaction score
Does it really matter?

I have a 3/8" OD racking cane, do I have to use it with a 3/8" OD hose?

Could the 1/2" OD hose I used, coupled with 3/8" racking cane, contribute to the oxidation of my beer during transfer to secondary (and/or bottling bucket)?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, it just occured to me and I want to eliminate the issue before the next transfer!

It could contribute to oxidation if you start sucking air bubbles in a loose connection. I have found that if its a bit of a struggle to get cold tubing on the cane, it should be the right size. Just give the tubing a minute in hot water to make the connection easier.

so is the "right size" the same OD as the cane? you just get it in some hot water to get it properly on the cane (or bottling wand, for that matter)?

There is no 'right size' based on O.D. because it will depend on the I.D. of the tubing, which varies. Just use what fits tight.

thanks. think i will try and do this with the same diameter tube, it will definitely create a tighter fit.

The 'standard' siphon tubing is 5/16" ID x 7/16" OD

If there are air bubbles leaking into the tubing where it connects to the racking cane, then something's not right. But chances are if you were using 1/2" OD tubing already, that's smaller than the norm and should definitely not be your problem.

Back