Optimal mashing temp for a black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
I am doing a Stone sublimely black ipa recipe.

Wondering if I should go low to make sure I'm gonna achieve the correct ABV or stay medium as usual?

IMO, stay low. You will be getting unfermentables from your roasted and crystal malt so I don't think a mid or high mash temp would be ideal. Your FG might end up on the high side which is out of place for any IPA, at least in my book.

That being said I'm pretty sure Stone uses really high mash temps for most of their beers (like 158-160), including their ipa. That is if CYBI and Jamil can be believed haha

Most black IPA recipes include a pound of corn sugar. Keep that in mind before deciding on a mash temp in regards to fermentable sugar and drying out your beer. I just made a black IPA 2 days ago, mashed between 150-153. My recipe included a pound of sugar so that should counter the higher mash temp and black malts.

I would actually do a hair higher than usual, maybe 152 - 154 to get a slightly bigger mouthfeel to it, and then counter that with some sugar to dry things out.

jrgtr42 said:
I would actually do a hair higher than usual, maybe 152 - 154 to get a slightly bigger mouthfeel to it, and then counter that with some sugar to dry things out.

My reasoning behind a low mash temp was that he will have enough mouthfeel from the unfermentable sugars in the roasted and crystal malts. That way he should be able to have adequate mouthfeel and still be able to dry it out without the need for corn sugar.

Most black IPA recipes include a pound of corn sugar. Keep that in mind before deciding on a mash temp in regards to fermentable sugar and drying out your beer. I just made a black IPA 2 days ago, mashed between 150-153. My recipe included a pound of sugar so that should counter the higher mash temp and black malts.

So you'll get a better body ?

Oxygenating well and making sure the yeast are healthy and ready to go will also ensure a healthy fermentation and complete attenuation

Oxygenating well and making sure the yeast are healthy and ready to go will also ensure a healthy fermentation and complete attenuation

Right but over attenuation will result in a dry beer. Which for a black IPA is not always desirable like maybe for a double IPA or imperial.

Why not mash low but add 1/2# of oats. Best if both worlds IMO for a black IPA. I just did this and have a nice dry, very drinkable beer, but with a deceivable medium mouthfeel.

Back