1.5-2L stepped starter too small for two vials??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellphoto

Reaction score
Back to brewing after a long summer off and I failed to remember we only have one 2L flask to build a starter. I'm wondering if there's a chance I could just make one big, stepped starter (built based on yeastcalc.com) and pitch that into an 11 gallon batch of 1.059 stout split into two carboys or if making one big starter in such a small flask would stress the yeast too much. How would you all approach this?

If it was me, I'd go with a two steps. First being ~1.7L to get you close to 300 billion cells, crash in fridge for a couple days, pour off the wort on top, then a ~1.3L starter and pitch the yeast slurry from the bottom of the first step to get you up to the 500+ billion cells you need. That will get you what you need.

If it was me, I'd go with a two steps. First being ~1.7L to get you close to 300 billion cells, crash in fridge for a couple days, pour off the wort on top, then a ~1.3L starter and pitch the yeast slurry from the bottom of the first step to get you up to the 500+ billion cells you need. That will get you what you need.

This is pretty much what I was thinking but just wasn't sure.

The starting cell count will be ~156Billion.

From Mrmalty.com, yeast starter faq:
Q: I've heard that too small or too large a starter can be bad for the yeast. How is that possible?

Parker says putting a fresh vial of yeast into 500 ml of wort and letting such a small starter go to completion can actually leave the yeast less ready to ferment a batch of beer. The yeast do not rebuild their reserves and have very little increase in cell mass.

The minimum starter size for significant yeast growth from a vial or pack of yeast is 1 liter. One vial or pack into 1 liter results in approximately a 50% increase in cell mass.

It sounds to me like your second step may be too concentrated to produce a significant increase in healthy cell count. I would just go to Walmart and buy a cheap gallon container. There is a thread about a rubbermaid container with a flat bottom at Target(?) for cheap that works great on stir plates, if you're using one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Home Brew mobile app

I would do 1 vial in 1 liter, then decant and add 1.75 liters and the other vial then pitch the whole thing after 2 days on the stir plate.

Well, a friend of mine had a flask that he wasn't using so I grabbed that. Thanks for all your info just the same.

Back