How much more might SG go down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor

Reaction score
I need to know whether sufficient additional fermentation, and thus sufficient decrease in SG, is likely after the observable (bubbling) fermentation stops.

DETAILS

I brewed a Sierra Porter clone last weekend with specialty grains, DME and LME (plus various hops). In case it's relevant, the recipe follows. I aerated this pretty well, or at least I think I did, by pouring the wort aggressively between the kettle and primary several times once cooled.

Target OG was 1.062, and mine ended up at 1.069, even though I measured ingredients using a digital scale and with care. It bubbled for about 2 - 2 1/2 days using Wyeast 1056 and at 68-70 degrees F. Bubbling stopped Monday night some time, and krausen is gone.

Now the SG is about 1.035, well above the target of 1.018. Even assuming the FG would be higher than target (because it started above the OG target), I assume a fair amount of additional fermentation is needed. Is SG likely to decrease notably, or might it be stuck?

I'll continue to measure SG every day or so, but I wonder whether others have seen SG drop substantially despite a lack of active bubbling?

The recipe, FYI (from Beer Captured):

US 80°L Crystal Malt, 10 oz
US Chocolate Malt, 10 oz
US Black Malt, 4 oz
Alexanders Pale Malt Extract Syrup, 4 lb
Muntons Extra Light Dry Malt Extract, 3.5 lb
Malto Dextrine, 8 oz
Nugget hops @ 12% AA - bittering - 6 HBU, 1/2 oz
Centennial @ 10% AA - bittering - 5 HBU, 1/2 oz
Cascade hops – flavoring, 1/4 oz
Irish Moss, 1 tsp
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Appreciate the feedback!

It doesn't sound promising, and 1035 is very high. Try rousing the yeast (give your fermenter a gentle swirl to stir up the yeast cake), and if that doesn't work, maybe repitch with a yeast that has high attentuation.

Is there any danger in repitching yeast?
I assume if you do this racking is a must due to a double thickness yeast cake. In addition to this if you can repitch the yeast is it also reasonable to expect a dryer finished beer due to the extra yeast eating up every last bit of fermentable sugar?

Blaine said:
Is there any danger in repitching yeast?
I assume if you do this racking is a must due to a double thickness yeast cake. In addition to this if you can repitch the yeast is it also reasonable to expect a dryer finished beer due to the extra yeast eating up every last bit of fermentable sugar?

I've never had the need to repitch, so I'm not sure about a bigger yeast cake etc.

Thor's beer is currently at SG = 1.035, so usually that would be far too sweet, and you would want to dry it out some more.

However, looking at you ingredients list, Thor, there is going to be a lot of non-fermentables in your brew anyway (maltodextrine, plus stuff from the crystal, chocolate, and black). It may well be finished at 1.035. Maybe taste it to see how sweet it is before you do anything...

I found an excellent brew calculator on www.brewcraft.com.au that may help you out. It takes into account all of your ingredients and gives you an OG, FG and Alcohol %.
Other than that I agree with Shambolic you have lots of non-fermentables and that may be the reason your reading is so high....... but....1.035..... go easy on that suff. If it is finished, it's gonna be a meal in a glass !!!

Back