Batch of scottish heavy left in the carboy for several months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodBrews85

Reaction score
I have been home brewing for 9 years and have never done this before. I've been really busy at work and forgot to bottle it, forgot to bottle it and now I've realized its been sitting in secondary fermentation for about 4 months. It looks perfect, no infection or mold. Does anyone know if I will run into problems bottle carbonating? Any input is appreciated. :confused:

I've had beers in secondary for a year if they are large beers. I make a quad every year that agrees in a secondary for a full year. It should be fine.

My fear wasnt about if the beer itsfelf would be ok but will it bottle carbonate OK? Should I just do my normal dissolved bottling sugar or is my yeast dead?

There is still plenty of yeast in suspension. It may take a little longer to carb but you don't need to repitch.

I'm sure it will be awesome after having that much conditioning time. I'd probably add a bit more yeast if I had some around, but otherwise you'd probably be fine to just rely on any residual yeast to do the job and be patient with the carbing process.

Back