Is this normal or infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave8274

Reaction score
I brewed this Centennial Blonde about 10 days ago, using rehydrated Nottingham. I moved the bucket yesterday, and noticed afterward that the lid of the bucket had popped open a bit. I'm not sure if it happened a few minutes earlier when i moved it, or a week ago.

Not long after I smelled the airlock, and it smelled a little sour. I opened the bucket today to test SG, found these huge clumps floating just below the surface. These aren't flat rafts on the surface, they look more like fluffy clouds the extend downward. I tested and FG was what I expected, and tasted what was left on the hydrometer. It didn't taste sour, but it did seem to lack flavor a bit. Here is what it looks like, what do you think?

2013-11-17103715.jpg

Looks like normal yeast rafts to me. If you have sanitizer in your airlock, it can smell a bit sour.

Give it some time for the flavors to fully develop.

Cool thanks. I've never seen rafts like that before, the ones I've seen have been much flatter. The again I usually don't opej the fermenter and look before about 2.5 weeks.

Back