Double Black IPA - Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywatchthis

Reaction score
Here is the recipe. 6 gallons finished beer, 1.080 target OG.

17 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Munich
1.3 lbs Chocolate Rye
0.5 lbs C40
0.5 lbs Carapils

1.0 oz Chinook FWH
1.0 oz Simcoe (15)
2.0 oz Amarillo (10)
2.0 oz Centennial (5)
1.0 oz Simcoe (KO)
1.0 oz Amarillo (KO)
1.0 oz Centennial (KO)

US-05

I'm planning on a staggered dry hop addition of:

First:
1.0 oz Centennial
1.0 oz Amarillo

Second:
2.0 oz Simcoe

Any thoughts on the dry hop schedule? How about the rest of the beer?

That's a pretty poor efficiency, about 23 points per lb. Are you sure that is correct?

I suspect it will be low on the bittering. I find FWH doesn't provide much bittering, so I tend to dial it down to a 30 minute addition for the calculators. What IBUs are you expecting? I would recommend adding a 60 minute addition to get some more IBUs.

The efficiency is fine, if I read correctly. This is for 6 gallons, after losing whatever to trub and hop absorption. The recipe looks good, other than the IBU concern. I'd go a little heavier on the simcoe at KO, but that's a matter of personal preference.

The target was for 8 gallons at this gravity, figuring in about 2 gallons for hop absorption/trub loss. I prefer my IPAs a little lower on IBUs, but I calculated the IBUs (Beersmith) at ~80 IBUs for an 8% IPA, calculating down for the Chinook to a 20 minute addition. It tasted plenty bitter coming out of the fermenter.

Back