Guava Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mando_dando

Reaction score
So I brewed this yesterday :

6.00lbs Maris Otter
4lbs White Wheat Malt
1lb Vienna Malt
1lb Light Brown Sugar
Mashed @ 161 for 45 minutes

3lbs Guava Paste @ Boil

0.25 Cascade Hops at 60 Minutes
0.25 Super Alpha 60 minutes
0.25 Cascade Hops 40 minutes
0.25 Super Alpha 20 minutes
0.50 Centennial 5 minutes
Wyeast 1007 w/starter

The smell of Guava was deliciously noticeable. Now this is what happened. I couldnt strain the wort because the guava paste made it very difficult to strain. So I put it in my primary to allow gravity to settle the guava.

My OG was somewhere around 1.09 because of the guava.

This morning I went to check the carbuoy and there was no bubbling. I found this strange because all of my other beers were bubbling the following morning after brewing. Any ideas of whats going on? Im hoping I dont have to toss this batch but it seems like I am going to have to.

I'd give it longer or try adding active yeast. Sometimes it takes a day or two before noticeable fermentation starts.

Were there any preservatives in guava paste? I can't say Ive ever heard of it or know what it is.

I'd give it longer or try adding active yeast. Sometimes it takes a day or two before noticeable fermentation starts.

Were there any preservatives in guava paste? I can't say Ive ever heard of it or know what it is.

Ill give it a couple days more. Im sure it has preservatives... its Canned Goya Guava Paste.

keep me updated.
my neighbor has a guava tree with tons of guavas just going to waste. this sounds like an awesome thing to make out of the fresh guava.

Update:

It started to bubble yesterday and I was happier than a pig in crap. I just got home to check on it and when i open up the beer bag to look inside the smell of fart shot out like a bat out of hell. It smelled so bad. What do I do guys?

Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew. ;-)

Sometimes fermentation gives of wacky smells and I don't know what fermenting guava smells like. Apple juice can smell like rhino farts and stink up an entire house depending upon the yeast.

It may turn out fine, but there really isn't any way I can think of to make any change that would help.

Others may have different advice?

The first cider I ever brewed smelled up my entire house for 3+ days with a sulfury smell. It ended up pretty tasty.

Luckily I left for a business trip the morning after I brewed it so I only had to deal with the smell for a few hours. :)

you will be just fine. give the smack paksabout 12 hours of swelling before you pitch, the nite before brew day, if you dont make starters. second hefs are known to give off sulfur smells. just wait till the smell clears before you bottle. im doing a cream ale thats on week 3 in the prime and it has a sulfur smell clearing up as the krausen drops down. im using wlp080 cream ale blend and supposedly it has lagering yeast which is known for sulfur off gassing. ( my brew shop even said the same thing on the product description. so its all good my friend) i dont believe in a secondary but since you are using fruit id rack it into a secondary after 14 days smell or no smell and let the smell clear up there if its still present. dont bottle smell, it wont affect flavor but no one wants to smell rotten eggs when they open a beer.

Yeasts don't fear the reaper
Nor do the hops, the guava or the grain
(We can be like they are)

Come on baby
(Don't fear the reaper)

Make sure you rack to secondary and let it splash into secondary (If you can purge the secondary with CO2 it would be optimal) to try and knock out any dissolved Sulfuric Oxides. You'll be fine.

you will be just fine. give the smack paksabout 12 hours of swelling before you pitch, the nite before brew day, if you dont make starters. second hefs are known to give off sulfur smells. just wait till the smell clears before you bottle. im doing a cream ale thats on week 3 in the prime and it has a sulfur smell clearing up as the krausen drops down. im using wlp080 cream ale blend and supposedly it has lagering yeast which is known for sulfur off gassing. ( my brew shop even said the same thing on the product description. so its all good my friend) i dont believe in a secondary but since you are using fruit id rack it into a secondary after 14 days smell or no smell and let the smell clear up there if its still present. dont bottle smell, it wont affect flavor but no one wants to smell rotten eggs when they open a beer.

This is in primary fermentation stage. I pitched Wyeast 1007. It shouldn't smell this bad dude. I think its the guava paste thats making this smell like a sack of **** and fart. Everyone is telling me to give it time but even if the smell goes away, the beer is still going to look like coffee and milk mixed together. Not sure about this. lol

Yeasts don't fear the reaper
Nor do the hops, the guava or the grain
(We can be like they are)

Come on baby
(Don't fear the reaper)

Make sure you rack to secondary and let it splash into secondary (If you can purge the secondary with CO2 it would be optimal) to try and knock out any dissolved Sulfuric Oxides. You'll be fine.

ill see if it even gets that far. I highly doubt it will make it passed tomorrow.

ive tried gently swirling the fermenter once a day every day for a week before i bottle. let it naturally off gas that way since i dont have co2 equipment. why not just purge co2 thru the beer with a stone before you bottled to avoid contaminating it by casting it out of the primary?

back to the OP never throw a beer untill after its bottled and conditioned. some of my worst tasting/smelling beers have been amazing after a few weeks of conditioning. a dunkel i did with abbey yeast. a cider i did after 3 generations of pitching onto the same yeast and now probably this smelly cream ale, my sulfur smell is goin away but it made the whole room smell like a skunk died about 5 days ago. thats how i know its getting good.

update bottled my cream ale now that the smell is gone. looks and tastes a lot like hi life. cant wait to gett it conditioned. just got a tap a draft and tgis is the perfect beer to try it out. get ready for WGD! Wizard Genuine Draft. note i put about 3 whole vanilla beans into a few ounces of Russian Standard(the only vodka) for the whole fermentation and threw it all into the bottling bucket. so just let that guava go and give us the update

The bottle was fermenting for about 3 weeks. It stunk up the house way too much and had to get rid of it. It looked like rotting milk. So I re-brewed this beer without the guava paste. I ended up throwing guava concentrate in the secondary, caught an infection and it turned out to be a great guava wheat saison! I win either way! Turned out amazing and my beer club encouraged me to put it into competition. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back