Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Help no fermentation activity

Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
CiderRules
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedonovan View Post
When I first made the batch I added campden tablets, pectin, and energizer. Let sit for 48 hours then pitched my yeast. I'm using a hydrometer to test gravity. OG was/is 1.058/1.06. If it was a sorbate addition what can I do now?
If sorbate is indeed the issue, then you can really only keep pitching (I would advise making a few 1l starters) and see if it will chug along.

I also think I have read somewhere that aeration can help get rid of it, though I wouldn't take my word on it.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
Dedonovan
Recipes 

Ok I called the orchard and sure enough they add <0.1% potassium sorbate to each gallon. So do I keep on Pitching yeast and aerate? Would a liquid yeast starter get me going more than a dry bag?

Old 11-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
sfgoat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiderRules View Post

If sorbate is indeed the issue, then you can really only keep pitching (I would advise making a few 1l starters) and see if it will chug along.

I also think I have read somewhere that aeration can help get rid of it, though I wouldn't take my word on it.
Maybe even try a tougher yeast like 1180 but there are no guarantees here because the sorbate is meant to stop new fermentation from beginning.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #14
jamrs90
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I'm new to all of this, but I thought that potassium sorbate just stopped the yeast from multiplying, but not the existing yeast from fermenting, causing fermentation to take much, much longer.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6070 Times on 4320 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamrs90 View Post
I'm new to all of this, but I thought that potassium sorbate just stopped the yeast from multiplying, but not the existing yeast from fermenting, causing fermentation to take much, much longer.
Well, since yeast generally reproduce before fermenting, in order to overcome sorbate you'd have to pitch a TON of healthy yeast cells that don't need to reproduce.

Also, there is a flavor impact from the stressed yeast being unable to reproduce, so even if it's slow and fermenting, the resulting cider will not be very drinkable.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #16
Dedonovan
Recipes 

That's was the answer I was afraid of. I have no real choice but to try and see what happens. I feed the yeast a cup of sugar and some more energizer. Hope I can over come the small %of sorbide.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:06 AM   #17
Dedonovan
Recipes 

Quick update: I added another cup of sugar and some more energizer and all of a sudden I'm back in business. The air lock this morning was bubbling away. I sampled some and everything tastes ok so far.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:11 AM   #18
sfgoat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Glad to hear it.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #19
T_Baggins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 313

If do another batch, check with your cider mill to see if they have, or will make a batch without the sorbate. My supplier provides both preserved and non-preserved, both are flash pasteurized by UV.
Check for different colored caps on the jugs in their fridge, that's also a clue.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:06 AM   #20
Dedonovan
Recipes 

It's toast! I checked the fermenter after a while to see how progress was going and the whole batch is sour and awful. I must have stressed the yeast out and pulled every bad flavor note possible. Well time to try again. Thanks everyone for the comments.