Soapy Taste in Session IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
Sorry for the new thread, as I realize there are a bunch on the "soapy taste" issue. Cracked one of these last night, after about 13 days in the bottle (I realize it's still young), but I detected a soapy-like bitterness to it. My lady did not agree with me.

-I see that cascade hops are a common theme in the soapy taste issue. Could it be the cascade?

-It was in primary for 3 weeks, secondary for 7 seven days with cascade + "centennial type"

-Yeast was a slurry that was about 5 months old, did a starter, no apparent issues with fermentation. Temps were on target.

My best guess is the cascade. Thoughts?

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.043
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 4.44%
IBU (tinseth): 55.5
SRM (morey): 5.46

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (31.6%)
3 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (31.6%)
2.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (26.3%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 20L (5.3%)
0.5 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (5.3%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Centennial , Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 21.65
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 11.65
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 7.52
1 oz - Centennial , Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 7.85
1 oz - Sterling, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.83
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
0.5 oz - Centennial , Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 1.5 qt

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
White Labs - San Diego Super Yeast WLP090
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 79.5%
Flocculation: Med-High
Optimum Temp: 65 - 68 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.5 (M cells / ml / deg P)

In some commercial brews I have definitely picked up a "soapy" taste to the IPA and always wondered if it was my nose/taste buds reacting to a specific hop... interested to hear what others have to say about this one!:cross:

In some commercial brews I have definitely picked up a "soapy" taste to the IPA and always wondered if it was my nose/taste buds reacting to a specific hop... interested to hear what others have to say about this one!:cross:

Yup...There are a lot of threads here about it, but I noticed that Cascade is a commonly cited culprit. It's a soapy-like bitterness. My fiancee didn't pick up on it. And I love hoppy beers.

I once did a cascade and ahtanum pale ale and it had a soapy character to it. Recently tried a bottle that's almost a year old. Still soapy. This is the only batch that I've ever had this happen on.

It's the fatty acids in th ebeer breaking down that give that flavor. Same as soap making. Keeping it in primary too long allows the fatty acids in the trub to start breaking down,giving that flavor. Rack to secondary if it needs to sit a long time.

Back