Co2 tank query

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossy_ireland

Reaction score
Hi, I picked up a co2 cylinder last week and I'm in the market for a regulator but I think the connection on the cylinder might be different to what connects to the regulator. Do I need an extra connection? If you know anything about this could you please fill me in, thanks. I've attached a few pic's of my tank. Cheers

image-2623043062.jpg

image-2028845214.jpg

image-365085254.jpg

Here's what it says on the side, the gut who got it for me said it was just filled with co2. Should I call shenanigans on this? How do I find out what it's actually filled with.

image-1009421698.jpg

From the pictures the tank and valve look a bit crusty. Do you know the last time this tank was hydro tested and/or visually inspected? If not I'd definitely get it inspected before using it. Anyone who fills it for you will likely require an inspection if the date of last inspection has expired (the laws may differ on this depending where you live.)

If you're not sure of the contents I'd empty it and have it refilled.

Perfect brew_ny, thanks. now I just need to find one I'm my part of the world. Would this still work if the tank was filled with co2?

I am not sure if they can fill it with just CO2, the regulator will work for CO2 or beer gas

Do you have a place to fill it or do they exchange like we do here ?

the people that fill tanks would know where to get one for sure, they may sell them

or try a restaurant supple place lots here handle bar stuff

good luck

S_M

Some of tanks I get through work are nasty and rusty, but still in working order. Check the last test date on the neck of the tank, it will look like 10-13 and may be spray painted a different color than the tank. The test shouldn't be more than 5 years old (at least in my state). As long as that is a costumer owned tank, that was a nice score.

Just take the tank to a welding place like (air gas) and exchange it for a new one. It will be the easiest thing to do. I had a tank filled with beer gas that I got from a friend, and they just gave me a tank filled with C02.

Latest posts

Back