Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Secondary fermentation

Old 10-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
dhelegda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts

Default Secondary fermentation

Ok I don't always use a secondary, but I'm making a whiskey barrel stout. Several hours ago I rack the beer over the whiskey barrel chips. When I walked in the closet I noticed the airlock is bubbling pretty good. I haven't see the airlock move in over a week now. Is this normal?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Black Island Brewer
Black Island Brewing: An Ode to Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 718 Times on 405 Posts
Likes Given: 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhelegda View Post
Ok I don't always use a secondary, but I'm making a whiskey barrel stout. Several hours ago I rack the beer over the whiskey barrel chips. When I walked in the closet I noticed the airlock is bubbling pretty good. I haven't see the airlock move in over a week now. Is this normal?
It's possible that it had not finished, and that the rousing of the yeast, the added oxygen in the transfer, or CO2 coming out of solution may be creating the airlock activity. I wouldn't worry, personally.

"Oh don't give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/No, don't you give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/For my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die/Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit"

Old 10-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
dhelegda
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts

Ok thanks, I wasn't too worried I was just wondering. I have secondaried two or three times before and never seen this! In the recipe it said to rack before it was finished completely fermenting.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Black Island Brewer
Black Island Brewing: An Ode to Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 718 Times on 405 Posts
Likes Given: 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhelegda View Post
Ok thanks, I wasn't too worried I was just wondering. I have secondaried two or three times before and never seen this! In the recipe it said to rack before it was finished completely fermenting.
That would account for some of the bubbling, then, and the chips may also offer nucleation sites for the CO2 to come out of solution.
"Oh don't give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/No, don't you give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/For my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die/Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit"

Old 10-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
mrphillips
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I was once told to not add oak chips until fermentation is complete. I don't think it's a hard-and-fast rule, but the "Taking CO2 out of solution" theory seems to me to be a good one.

I highly doubt it will effect the beer. How much longer do you plan on aging it over the oak? I'm planning on doing something similar sometime soon.