Distillery Lane Ciderworks in Maryland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVMJ

Reaction score
I have 7 gallons of cidermakers cider coming to room temperature in my basement. We got this cidermakers cider from a very cool ciderworks near Jefferson Maryland that grows Eurpoean cider apples and antique early American varieties. They grow those bittersweet, bittersharps, sharps and sweets to blend together to make vary balance cider. They also make single variety ciders from varieties like Kingston Black. They press these same apples and sell the cider to local cidermakers, like me! We really like their tarter, more tannic, high quality style of cider that they make at the ciderworks. We are going to make a cyser with their cidermakers juice. I just cant decide on what yeast to use yet.

distillerylaneciderworks.com/

WVMJ

Oh, that sounds great! I'm jealous! I wish I was close to a cider place. I love fresh cider as well as hard cider, and I"d love to have a place that grew all the varieties in a mix that I would like. I like tart but balanced cider, and would love to try those!

Yoop, doesnt MI have lots of cideries, and even cider tours or are you way up north close to RedGreen land with the mooses? WVMJ

Sooo glad you posted this wvmj! I just moved to the baltimore area and was looking hard for an orchard! We have visited Lallemand farms out in that direction, but have yet to go as far out as Fredrick and its area. Only open on the weekends? How much are they charging for cider?

Yoop, doesnt MI have lots of cideries, and even cider tours or are you way up north close to RedGreen land with the mooses? WVMJ

I"m about 150 miles north of Green Bay, WI. We do have some moose, actually!

There isn't a cider mill near here. I assume that they have a few in southern Wisconsin, but it seems that I never make it down there at this time of year.

I have to go south to get to Minneapolis and Green Bay, to give you an idea of how far north we are.

They are like 15 minutes or so past Frederick, easy drive. They charge 10$ for their cider, but its not that watered down sugar added stuff you get at the stores, its a cidermakers blend, and it varies from week to week depending on what they pick. I put some of our early spring honey in with the cider and QA23 and its chugging along very happily. Their Kingston Black barrel aged hard cider is very good, they have a tasting room and the folks there are very very nice. While you are driving around the area there is also a Polish meadery, Orchid Cellars in Middletown, its well worth planning a trip to both places, they are like 15 minutes from each other, they have some outrageous meads, so smooth and balanced. At least you can pop over to Maryland Homebrew anytime you need something quick! WVMJ

Sooo glad you posted this wvmj! I just moved to the baltimore area and was looking hard for an orchard! We have visited Lallemand farms out in that direction, but have yet to go as far out as Fredrick and its area. Only open on the weekends? How much are they charging for cider?

I was there over the weekend. Came away with 2x 3gal buckets of the "cider-makers blend", and put that together with 1lb of raw honey from Burnside Farms in Haymarket VA, .5lb of Mexican brown sugar, and a packet of Nottingham.

I really liked the place. The people we super friendly, and the cider tastes great - my only quibble is their "tasting room". They do the tastings and sales in the same small, cramped area - and it gets really disorganized. People cut in front of each other in line and other people can't make it to the bar to do the tasting.

That said, the juice itself tastes fantastic and I drank half a gallon of the unfermented cider while walking around the self-guided tour.

Also, the leaves are starting to turn and the drive out there is beautiful, this time of year.

Yes, coming from New England thats something I enjoy every year. The weekend after next as long as the wife and I can coordinate the schedules then. We both love the turning of the trees. The kids are eating the last of the apples we bought two weeks ago, so they (and I!) Will be jonesing for more in a week and a half.

I live just 10 min from Annapolis Homebrew. Nice guys.

Latest posts

Back