Sweet Russet cider from ciderworks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVMJ

Reaction score
Dropped into the local real ciderworks this weekend, Distillery Lane Ciderworks in Jefferson MD, they had pressed Roxburry Russets, Golden Russets and a few Redfields and aromatic apples for a very complex sweet mix, so good it was hard not to just freeze it all to drink this winter. We are using RBS133, it eats a little bit of the acid and ends up making a nice smooth hard cider from our previous batches. Treated overnight with KM while it was coming to room temp. Dropped in a little Optiwhite and Fermaid K to help out. 15 gallons in 3 big mouth bubbles with stocking over the mouth. Once fermentation drops to around 1.020 will put it under airlock and let most of the sediment drop out and rack into carboys to finish. This is going to end up as a wedding cider, might drop a little oak in it just to make it special. WVMJ

It's not even 6am and I already learned something new. I wasn't familiar with RBS133, but looked it up due to your post. It does seem like a useful one for ciders considering how much acid tends to be in the fresh juice commonly available. I'll have to test that out (next year, all of this year's is already bubbling away).

Thanks WVMJ, That yeast sounds like something to try. I just tasted some cranberry wine I plan on opening tomorrow and it is a little harsh. I think I will try this yeast for my next batch.

Scott Labs ( maker of RBS133 ) is a major supplier to commercial wine & cider makers. They publish s free book on fermenting cider. But frankly it's out of my league.

Back