Tricky Brew Space Layout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fxdude

Reaction score
First off sorry for the long post. You can just go look at my photos and tell me what you think about the layout before I build cabinets.

I recently purchased a partially built system. I'm SUPER excited to get this thing up and running, thanks Kal for all your hard work and attention to detail. The problem is I'm a little tight on space and don't really have an easy optimal layout. I've added photos of my space to get some opinions.

The end tables are to hold the kegs up but will most likely build a counter a little bit higher so I have plenty of room to look inside and stir grains. Ladder is to hold up the control panel, I plan on mounting it 1-2 feet higher. Electrical outlet is just to the right of the control panel in the groove between wall and cabinet.

I was going to have the BK next to the door so I could open the window and the door for ventilation, I have a great cross breeze, maybe have a simple fan. Now I am thinking about switching the HLT and BK so I can install a cheap non ducted hood (brewed under one for years and seemed to work) or possibly run ducting to the door and open it for brewing. As you can see there really isn't a good way to have the BK next to the door and install a hood over it with that window there.

I purchased kettles with valves installed, in on mash is not in optimal place, I could use right angle elbow or move it and plug previous hole.

A big area of concern is the control panel being very close to BK steam. One option is buying a swivel mount so I could swivel it further to the right out of the way then swivel it back when not brewing.

One last option is to move the set up to the opposite wall. I would have a lot more walking space and it wouldn't be too close to the door which opens outwards. Plenty of room to add ventilation there. Issue here is I would prefer to keep the control panel where I originally had it but would mean custom long cables for heating elements, pumps, and temp probes. Easiest and cheapest way would be a custom power cable and have the control panel on the same wall as the kettles. That would make it tight on space again with the control panel so I'd have to decide if I wanted the BK next to the door with the control panel or the HLT next to the door and the BK further away from the door.

I'm definitely over thinking it all but wanted to get opinions. Also threw in a photo of my custom salt water fish tank bar I built eight years ago and my projector set up before I mounted any of it (just moved into the place).

Thanks,
Allen

BrewSpace-1.jpg

BrewSpace-2.jpg

BrewSpace-5.jpg

BrewSpaceAlt-1.jpg

BarProjector.jpg

Without fully understanding the process, why do the three kegs have to stay together?
There are pumps to move fluid wherever needed.
Can one kettle be used for a short period and then disconnected and rolled out of the way?
I like the left wall with the controller hung next to the door.

'da Kid

The kegs don't have to stay together since I do have pumps but they do need to be plugged into the control panel. I'd like to try and not move the kegs around once I start the brew day.

Is your place a rental or did you buy? The reason I ask is would it be possible to relocate the electrical outlet to the opposite wall. That would seem to get your equipment onto the wall/area where you want it without having to have custon wires for the elements and probes.

Is there a reason you're going the single tier route? Given space constraints I'd at least consider 2 tier with the HLT above the MLT. I vote for placing the brew station near the windows like in your later pictures. Maybe set up something like http://imgur.com/jHeMidf pardon the MSpaint

I would be thinking mostly about how you are going to handle the boil off. The window could work fine but I would also be concerned about the excess heat and moisture near your walls. That is a fairly small space and you will need to deal with that.

I have hear some great ideas about separating out the kettles. Perhaps you could boil outside that door and make some sort of rolling stand?

Latest posts

Back