Painting Control Panel Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyBe

Reaction score
So I want to paint a logo on the control panel I'm building. I want to use a logo I created for a brewpub I hope to open eventually. And then possibly use this on my pilot system hence why I want to add the logo. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to tape this out to paint? I was thinking of painting the panel the gray color first and letting it dry. Then placing painters tape onto the panel in the area of the text and logo. Print out the logo and text and then spray fix them to the tape. I would then use an xacto knife to remove the area to be painted and the logo and text. Paint, and repeat for the three colors I have.

I was originally going to go with just plain white vinyl but have since changed my mind since the logo changed and I thought it would be fun to try and paint it on anyways.

Not being a painter though I thought I'd ask the advice of the forum though since I've seen some really incredible paint jobs for panels on here.

Control Panel 2.jpg

I'd have it cut in vinyl but I'm lazy. It certainly could be hand done but that logo is rather intracate. I used to mess around with an airbrush. I havent seen an airbrushed control panel yet...flames and naked women...

Painting seems fairly hard. If you think you have a way to do it go for it. If it was me and I had a good logo i wanted to add, I think id try water slide decals. You can get laser (or inkjet) printable decal sheets from many places online. you could then print out your logo perfectly and place it on the panel. It would look great. If you have white in your logo you'd what to get the kind of decal sheets that have white on them because printers can't print white. I used them for the white lettering on my panel. I then sprayed the panel with clear coat to protect it. This probably would be a lot easier then trying to paint a logo if you have a lot of detail. Just search online for laser printable water slide decal sheets or something like that. It's at least an option worth looking into.

I'm going to try the paint method and if it doesn't work then I'll try the slide decal you mentioned. I have the boxed primed and drying now. Hopefully I can get a base coat on it later today or tomorrow morning. I'll post pictures as I go.

Here is the panel after I drilled all the holes and sanded rough spots. As well as after the primer coat.

image.jpg

image (2).jpg

image (1).jpg

image (3).jpg

image (4).jpg

You might check Kinko's. I have clear transparency 8 1/2 x 11 sheets at work I use to make up custom legends to go under the lens of illuminated push buttons.
I print from PhotoShop take them up to our laser copier and copy to the transparency and cut them out. Kinko's Should be able to do the same thing but you will need decal paper or transparency with adhesive on one side.
Steve

Another option that I have done quite a few times is I have a print shop here in town (Tacoma Rubber Stamp) do an engraved overlay for the entire panel. I have them do a reverse image on acrylic in the color of my choice. All the engraving is done on the under side so you end up with a smooth surface. They will also do the acrylic in lets say gray, and paint the engraving in what ever color or colors you like. Turns out very nice.

Steve

Panel.jpg

Panel 2.jpg

Panel 3.jpg

vindee,

That's some beautiful control panel pron! Where could someone find those beautiful illuminated chrome mushroom buttons? (Are they 120v or only low volt DC?)

-Any rough cost estimates for your guy in Tacoma on getting a control panel engraved like this? -Can they do just simple lines and text or any shape? (Can they make an outline of a mashtun around your mashtun PID controller, for example?)

(A saw mill control panel in the Pacific NW; who would've guessed??? *Grin*)

Adam

Ok, I've spent some time looking and I really cannot find those metal mushroom push buttons... I WANT them for my control panel. Where do I find those beauties?

Adam

Here is a link to the same style buttons.

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00094300/k-G0883504?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CKy6qJnuirkCFeU5QgodFjsAtw

Here is a link to the same style buttons.

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00094300/k-G0883504?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CKy6qJnuirkCFeU5QgodFjsAtw

What currency is that website in?? $160 for one illuminated push button? I hope it's at least 10:1 vs. the US dollar...

Adam

vindee,

That's some beautiful control panel pron! Where could someone find those beautiful illuminated chrome mushroom buttons? (Are they 120v or only low volt DC?)

-Any rough cost estimates for your guy in Tacoma on getting a control panel engraved like this? -Can they do just simple lines and text or any shape? (Can they make an outline of a mashtun around your mashtun PID controller, for example?)

(A saw mill control panel in the Pacific NW; who would've guessed??? *Grin*)

Adam
Adam,
Thanks for the comments.
I use Allen Bradley push buttons and controls. They are LED's and run on 24vdc on up to 120vac. They use to be voltage specific but they have found a way to save themselves money by making one light module for all control voltages.
They are not necessarily chrome, but more of a brushed aluminum. A little costly but in a saw mill, I need to use something that holds up to the abuse of operators and the environment.
The engraving place I use can do any type graphics you give them and surprisingly inexpensive. I design my panel layout in AutoCad and email them the file. You get back exactly what you give them so I do a lot of checks and double checks before sending them off.
Steve

vindee that is one nice looking control panel.

I painted mine and tried to paint the logo but couldn't get it cut out well enough to then paint onto the panel. I was luck enough to have a forum user cut me an all white logo and text instead of trying anything crazy. Eventually I may try to get the logo redone in two tone vinyl and the on/off sized bigger since it somehow ended up being smaller than the others but for now it works.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo.JPG

I am going to print directly onto magnetic sheet. Cut out the labels, and move them wherever they need to go.

It's a little surprising to me that I have never seen this done before.

Nice job JohnnyBe,
The logo turned out great.
Looks like your using Telemecanique selector switches. You should be happy with those.

JohnnyBe said:
vindee that is one nice looking control panel.

I painted mine and tried to paint the logo but couldn't get it cut out well enough to then paint onto the panel. I was luck enough to have a forum user cut me an all white logo and text instead of trying anything crazy. Eventually I may try to get the logo redone in two tone vinyl and the on/off sized bigger since it somehow ended up being smaller than the others but for now it works.

You should have had the forum user cut you out the reverse to use as a stencil. Then you stick that on, tape off the excess, paint and you've done what you originally were trying to accomplish.

heckels

Unfortunately I didn't think about it until after the fact and the forum member was nice enough to cut out the items for me for free so I hated to ask him to do it again. I am happy with how it turned out and may eventually change it but right now I have plenty of other things to concern myself with on this build.

Back