First BIG Brew - Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coeceo

Reaction score
And I mean big, 300 gallons big.

So this is a long story, but for now I really need some help at least starting to craft my recipe, unfortunately this is over my head so I can only speak in 5 gallon language and 5 gallons is very forgiving, the last thing I want is 300 gallons of swill. This will be ready to drink I'd say mid to late October. I'm chasing the idea of making a light fall beer for those of us in the seasonal environments that still want to hold on to summer and BBQ and play corn hole and what have you. This must appeal to the masses and be drinkable, I don't want to be thirsty after drinking a pint (read: IPA, cranberry juice, etc.)

My ideas: A light brown ale, possibly a honey brown ale. Do these basics make sense?

OG target in mid to high 1040s
ABV around 5%
Victory Malt in grain bill
IBU 35?

-Honey may mess with my alcohol content, I do want to aim for a 5% ABV to maintain a level of session drinkability.
-Would a Rye Brown work? Not sure if those flavors would blend well.

I recommend that you take a 5 gallon recipe that you know/trust, and scale it up to 300 gallons utilizing brewing software. Make sure that your IBU to OG is taken into consideration and correctly adjusted. So... how are you really going to brew 300 gallons when you only do 5?

Latest posts

Back