Crazy sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBeuchs

Reaction score
I brewed a blonde ale and kegged as normal. After a week on CO2 I have a tremendous amount of sediment coming out of the keg (abnormal). I was hoping to bottle (counter pressure) some of the beer and enter it into a local contest soon. Any ideas as to why all of a sudden I'm having such junk floating around? Also, any ideas as to how to clear it quickly? Thank you!!

How long was it in the primary? It may be that you kegged it before it had a chance to clarify enough. Or maybe you accidentally got some trub into the keg.

I would try cold crashing it a couple days at near-freezing and using gelatin, if possible. That should get whatever's left in suspension to drop out. Then pull a couple pints and waste them to draw off the sediment around the dip tube, and what's left should be clear beer.

How long was it in the primary? It may be that you kegged it before it had a chance to clarify enough. Or maybe you accidentally got some trub into the keg.

I would try cold crashing it a couple days at near-freezing and using gelatin, if possible. That should get whatever's left in suspension to drop out. Then pull a couple pints and waste them to draw off the sediment around the dip tube, and what's left should be clear beer.

I actually left it in the primary for longer than normal (about 3 weeks). I'm sure I pulled some trub into the keg, but that's not really out of the ordinary for me. It then sat at about 38 deg for about a week and a half before I carbed it. This has me puzzled. I could try the gelatin. The flavor is unaffected and if not for the competition I wouldn't be that worried.

Back