Natural vs. Forced Carbonation in Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoopdog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a taste difference in their keg beer using natural carbonation with dextrose vs. forced carbonation? I am looking to stock pile some kegged beer that I would like to sit aside to naturally carbonate and condition.

Shoopdog said:
Has anyone noticed a taste difference in their keg beer using natural carbonation with dextrose vs. forced carbonation? I am looking to stock pile some kegged beer that I would like to sit aside to naturally carbonate and condition.
Been there done that.

Once I started doing 10-gallon batches, I charged on keg and primed the other to save gas.

There is definitely a taste difference. Not in one, but three different beers, the first keg of each was cleaner tasting while the second suffered from definite yeast bite. The carbonation was fine, but there was a distraction in the taste. I might not have noticed if I hadn’t had the first keg to compare it to.

If you want long term storage…do so without priming sugar and then allow 10-days to chill and charge when you get ready to tap.

I invested in a second 20# tank of gas and it is well worth it.

Shoopdog said:

Interested in this as well... More than likely building the 4912 kegerator in the near future (as opposed to a keezer that could hold 3-4+ cornies) and the fact it only holds 2 cornies is the only drawback I can see... I'd like to keep a third (and or 4th) corny on hand at all times, but not sure i want to wait the 2 weeks for them all to carb on the CO2. I'd consider naturally carbing an 'extra' to throw in if one is kicked unexpectedly and I need two on tap for some reason (social gathering, etc)...

BierMuncher said:
Been there done that.

Once I started doing 10-gallon batches, I charged on keg and primed the other to save gas.

There is definitely a taste difference. Not in one, but three different beers, the first keg of each was cleaner tasting while the second suffered from definite yeast bite. The carbonation was fine, but there was a distraction in the taste. I might not have noticed if I hadn’t had the first keg to compare it to.

If you want long term storage…do so without priming sugar and then allow 10-days to chill and charge when you get ready to tap.

I invested in a second 20# tank of gas and it is well worth it.

Great info... sounds like investing in an extra gas tank is a good idea! Now, to the next (obvious) question. Is there any drawback to carbing the beer with CO2 and then just letting it sit/store until its ready to go in?

I realize carbonation levels differ depending on temp, but could you carb it "half-way" out of the kegerator (warm maybe?) to cut back on some time when you need to drop it into the kegerator? So, then maybe you only have a 5 day wait until its carbed?

I guess the other option is to naturally carb it and have it be a different beer than whats on tap... you said you might not notice if you hadn't had a CO2 carbed version first, so... I suppose its still an option even though a CO2 carbed beer might taste... "cleaner".

SilkkyBrew said:
Great info... sounds like investing in an extra gas tank is a good idea! Now, to the next (obvious) question. Is there any drawback to carbing the beer with CO2 and then just letting it sit/store until its ready to go in?

I realize carbonation levels differ depending on temp, but could you carb it "half-way" out of the kegerator (warm maybe?) to cut back on some time when you need to drop it into the kegerator? So, then maybe you only have a 5 day wait until its carbed?

I guess the other option is to naturally carb it and have it be a different beer than whats on tap... you said you might not notice if you hadn't had a CO2 carbed version first, so... I suppose its still an option even though a CO2 carbed beer might taste... "cleaner".

In my cases (Brown Ale, Stout, can’t remember the third), the flavor was too “homebrewed”. It was reminiscent of early extract/bottle conditioned beers. Not nearly so clean as the charged kegs.

It’s difficult to charge a room-temp keg. Takes longer.

If you want to charge and store (storing a charged keg is fine)…

Chill your keg completely in your fridge (24 hours). Hook up your CO2 and set it at 30PSI. In about 48-60 hours it should be pert-near fully charged.

Then you can remove and store.

Just wanted to say thanks to Beir. I've just started force carbing my first kegged beer and this answered a lot of questions I was wondering. I'm glad now that I decided to not prime my porter with sugar and instead went with force carbing. I had wanted to submit my porter to a local porter comp. I guess I can just fill a bottle or so the day before the comp and hopefully everything will be ok. Have to find that post Bier had made earlier to make the ghetto beer gun. I don't think much would happen in just a day, but I'd like the beer to be as tasty as possible for the comp. ;)

BierMuncher said:
In my cases (Brown Ale, Stout, can’t remember the third), the flavor was too “homebrewed”. It was reminiscent of early extract/bottle conditioned beers. Not nearly so clean as the charged kegs.

It’s difficult to charge a room-temp keg. Takes longer.

If you want to charge and store (storing a charged keg is fine)…

Chill your keg completely in your fridge (24 hours). Hook up your CO2 and set it at 30PSI. In about 48-60 hours it should be pert-near fully charged.

Then you can remove and store.

Great info... With a little planning I can probably definitely carb up a keg in 2 days, remove and sit aside for conditioning/"when I need it"...

Thanks again!

Back