Combined starter step-up/harvest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simple-stupid

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to brew two different batches using WL300 this weekend, so I was planning on growing it up to 2L, and splitting it to pitch. I've read that its best for the yeast if you make large step ups, so I plan on going from .5L to 2L

BUT, I also wanted to harvest some yeast for a future batch, and I dont have the capacity past 2L, so I was wondering, could I do a 1L starter, harvest half of it after 24hrs, and then step up the other half to 2L? It sounds alright to me but I want someone else's opinion on my plan

Thanks in advance

Yes you can do it.
Obviously there are a few unknowns here for anyone advising you.

Have you determined how much yeast you need for the brew? Are you using a pitching rate calculator like MrMalty or my favorite Yeastcalc?
Why do you not have capacity beyond 2L? Yes it is great to have stirplates and erlenmeyer flasks but you can make starters in simple things like soft drink bottles. It is all about sanitation. What equipment do you have? How do you intend to store the yeast?

Yes you can do it.
Obviously there are a few unknowns here for anyone advising you.

Have you determined how much yeast you need for the brew? Are you using a pitching rate calculator like MrMalty or my favorite Yeastcalc?
Why do you not have capacity beyond 2L? Yes it is great to have stirplates and erlenmeyer flasks but you can make starters in simple things like soft drink bottles. It is all about sanitation. What equipment do you have? How do you intend to store the yeast?

I've got a 1L and 2L Erlenmeyer and a stir plate, and yeast in small mason jars

Back