Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Combined starter step-up/harvest question

Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
simple-stupid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Combined starter step-up/harvest question

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to brew two different batches using WL300 this weekend, so I was planning on growing it up to 2L, and splitting it to pitch. I've read that its best for the yeast if you make large step ups, so I plan on going from .5L to 2L

BUT, I also wanted to harvest some yeast for a future batch, and I dont have the capacity past 2L, so I was wondering, could I do a 1L starter, harvest half of it after 24hrs, and then step up the other half to 2L? It sounds alright to me but I want someone else's opinion on my plan

Thanks in advance

On Deck: Beer?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yes you can do it.
Obviously there are a few unknowns here for anyone advising you.

Have you determined how much yeast you need for the brew? Are you using a pitching rate calculator like MrMalty or my favorite Yeastcalc?
Why do you not have capacity beyond 2L? Yes it is great to have stirplates and erlenmeyer flasks but you can make starters in simple things like soft drink bottles. It is all about sanitation. What equipment do you have? How do you intend to store the yeast?

Old 07-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
simple-stupid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_caro View Post
Yes you can do it.
Obviously there are a few unknowns here for anyone advising you.

Have you determined how much yeast you need for the brew? Are you using a pitching rate calculator like MrMalty or my favorite Yeastcalc?
Why do you not have capacity beyond 2L? Yes it is great to have stirplates and erlenmeyer flasks but you can make starters in simple things like soft drink bottles. It is all about sanitation. What equipment do you have? How do you intend to store the yeast?
I've got a 1L and 2L Erlenmeyer and a stir plate, and yeast in small mason jars
On Deck: Beer?