Barley Crusher question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pointyskull

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a new 7lb Barley Crusher I have started using on my BIAB batches to get a finer crush.

I use a drill to grind, but it only seems to want to turn one way. With grain in the hopper it turns freely in one direction, but going the other direction it seems to lick up. Does it matter which way the rollers turn?

It appears that it is crushing the grain, as my efficiency has improved....

Does it matter which way the rollers turn?

Well it will only crush grain if you turn the handle clockwise. It should turn freely in both directions, but it will only crush if the rollers are turning into each other from the top. Otherwise is will be pushing grain away from the gap, not through it.

If it is locking up in one direction, then it sound like something may be clogging/binding it up on the outside edge of the rollers.

I only ever find it necessary to turn the handle counterclockwise if it's binding in the center.

yes it does make a difference which way it's turning. you want the rollers and gravity to draw the grain between the rollers crushing it. if you go the wrong way grain won't do between the rollers and crush.

The drill locks up or the barley crusher?
Take the drill off and try it by hand in reverse....thought there isn't usually a reason to go in reverse unless you catch a bag or your tie in there....

Take the drill off and try it by hand in reverse....thought there isn't usually a reason to go in reverse unless you catch a bag or your tie in there....

i could see catching your tie, but your bag?? LOL does you bag hang low, does it wobble....

With the grain in the hopper and using the drill it will only go one direction. The drill sounds like it is locking up, though it works fine it going the other way.

I'll have to check when I get home if I can turn it clockwise or counter-clockwise...

As others have said, it definitely does matter which way the rollers turn. Empty aall the grain out, detach the drill. check the rollers for flow, by hand (no crank, just flip the crusher over and roll your hands over top of the rollers and apply enough pressure to make them move. Do not, I repeat, do not ever do this with the drill or hand crank hooked up, you do not want a degloving situation), they should both move freely, in both directions. They probably do. What I've noticed with the barley crusher, is that the relatively small diameter of the rollers cause you to need more torque than you might think. Another thing that helps is to get the drill going, before you add the grain. This way you know for sure the roller is going in the correct direction and that it will spin freely. I usually just keep a large plastic cup (convenience store soda cup) in my bucket full of grain and add scoops of grain while the drill is moving. I have a lower torque drill that I just quit using with the barley crusher, it would hang up. Luckily I've got a big 1/2 inch drill that has an extra, high torgue mode that doesn't spin fast at all.

Back