Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > another My First Mead...very basic recipe.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
MrJames
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrJames's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 171
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default another My First Mead...very basic recipe.

So I figured I would dive right in and try it. I have had commercial Mead (yuck) and home brewed (way delicious)!!

My recipe:
7.5 lbs clover honey
3g reverse osmosis water
Champagne Yeast

Fermenting in a 3g carboy for the last 3 months. Still percolating.

What next? Wait until my FG is .990?? My goal is that I want sweet versus dry mead.

The pics below were taken over a month ago. I was monitoring the honey level. When I look now, there isn't any honey at the bottom.



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130722_174854.png
Views:	211
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	136753



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130722_174906.png
Views:	211
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	136754


MrJames is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
StoneArcher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Green Bay / U.P.
Posts: 205
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Default

Time is the most important ingredient.

All the honey was just sitting on the bottom? Did you mix the honey in at all? But it is all gone now? Interesting.

FWIW, I usually pour in some water, then my honey, shake like hell, and if it all won't dissolve I run warm water over the carboy to heat it up gently, just enough to get the honey mixed in.

Did you take an OG, by the way?


StoneArcher is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
hunter_la5
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
hunter_la5's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Posts: 6,058
Liked 2722 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 5570

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneArcher View Post

All the honey was just sitting on the bottom? Did you mix the honey in at all? But it is all gone now? Interesting.

FWIW, I usually pour in some water, then my honey, shake like hell, and if it all won't dissolve I run warm water over the carboy to heat it up gently, just enough to get the honey mixed in.
It really isn't important for ALL of the honey to be mixed with the water - the yeast will still get it, even if a lot of it sinks straight to the bottom.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogud247 View Post
Anything can be a taco if you try hard nuff
hunter_la5 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
StoneArcher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Green Bay / U.P.
Posts: 205
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Default

I see that now. Good to know. Always learning, thanks to this place!
StoneArcher is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
WVMJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WVMJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Karnage, WV
Posts: 1,314
Liked 135 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

But, if its not mixed in you cant measure it with a hydrometer and why make the yeast work harder at the honey water interface? WVMJ
__________________
Country Wines with WVMJ
WVMJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
StoneArcher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Green Bay / U.P.
Posts: 205
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Default

OG is exactly why I always mix thoroughly. But I suppose if its a tried recipe OG is already known.
StoneArcher is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:43 AM   #7
MrJames
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrJames's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 171
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Well, I racked it over today, about 4 months after I added the yeast. I tasted it and I love it!! Gonna let is run in the secondary for another couple months.

I have another bigger batch running right now. It's a 7g batch with roughly 24lbs of Sourwood Honey. This time I mixed it!!

Gonna have to get another batch going in another couple months.
MrJames is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
fatbloke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK - South Coast.
Posts: 2,696
Liked 182 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_la5 View Post
It really isn't important for ALL of the honey to be mixed with the water - the yeast will still get it, even if a lot of it sinks straight to the bottom.
If you want any kind of accuracy in what you're doing then yes its very important that its correctly mixed in.

If you're happy that you haven't overdone it with the fermentable sugars then fine, a layer at the bottom will eventually get munched by the yeast.

Mixing the honey in correctly helps reduce the need for early stage aeration some. Having air/O2 present helps with yeast colony development in the early stages......

So while you're not wrong, you're not right either, it just depends on how the maker wants to proceed.

Just my tuppence worth.......
__________________
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!
fatbloke is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
fatbloke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK - South Coast.
Posts: 2,696
Liked 182 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
Well, I racked it over today, about 4 months after I added the yeast. I tasted it and I love it!! Gonna let is run in the secondary for another couple months.

I have another bigger batch running right now. It's a 7g batch with roughly 24lbs of Sourwood Honey. This time I mixed it!!

Gonna have to get another batch going in another couple months.
Well done. Don't forget, costs aside, its easy to get carried away. There is a point where batch size becomes an issue, not with quantity per se, but with batch temperatures during the ferment. Especially if a yeast is used that needs to be kept cooler, like D47 (below 70F/21C).

After all, fermentation is an exothermic reaction. Just because we don't notice it when making in relatively small quantities, doesn't mean its not a problem. It is, or more correctly, it can be if we don't keep an eye on temperature once we start to scale up.

Its the same as the "where" thing. Properly set up, commercial places have to think of ventilation. Because low lying or sheltered places, can make enough CO2, to become an issue once there's more than a certain amount being fermented. Sure its generally less of an issue for home brewers but not if you've got a couple of 5 gallon meads and maybe a beer or two going in a cellar........
__________________
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!
fatbloke is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
MrJames
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MrJames's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 171
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Well done. Don't forget, costs aside, its easy to get carried away. There is a point where batch size becomes an issue, not with quantity per se, but with batch temperatures during the ferment. Especially if a yeast is used that needs to be kept cooler, like D47 (below 70F/21C).

After all, fermentation is an exothermic reaction. Just because we don't notice it when making in relatively small quantities, doesn't mean its not a problem. It is, or more correctly, it can be if we don't keep an eye on temperature once we start to scale up.

Its the same as the "where" thing. Properly set up, commercial places have to think of ventilation. Because low lying or sheltered places, can make enough CO2, to become an issue once there's more than a certain amount being fermented. Sure its generally less of an issue for home brewers but not if you've got a couple of 5 gallon meads and maybe a beer or two going in a cellar........
I have my fermenter running at 67 F right now, should I set my Mead in there?


MrJames is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic Mead JEastman Mead Forum 0 08-29-2012 04:34 AM
Basic 2 Gallon Mead Recipe K5MOW Mead Forum 3 02-17-2011 12:00 PM
Basic Mead Recipe and Questions cheezemm Mead Forum 9 01-31-2011 05:16 PM
Basic mead recipe God Emporer BillyBrew Mead Forum 8 10-09-2009 06:47 PM
First/Basic Mead Brewin_Bob Mead Forum 30 01-13-2009 10:06 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS