Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo IPA review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
I am thinking of making a pilsner malt based Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo IPA and wanted some input on the hopping schedule. I want fresh, bright, yet balanced hop bomb. What do you think?

5 gallon

½ oz Magnum | 90 minute hops
1 oz Simcoe | 5 minute hops
1 oz Citra | Flameout hops (sit for 5 min)
2 oz Simcoe & 1 oz Amarillo | 45 minute hop stand at 175F
2 oz Amarillo & 1 oz Citra | 5 day dry hops

What do you think? It looks like around $18 worth of hops so I don't want to ruin the beer! :)

Dont think you can ruin it either way, however, I would:

bump Mag. to 1oz
Combine flameout + hopstand hops
Up 5 min addition to 10min...1.5oz

However u want to mix them. Sounds tasty :ban:

Lagger, why would you change the 5 minute to 10 and up the dosage?

I dont think you'll get enough bitterness. Half ounce of mag & then a ton at 5min and under seems like poor utilization. Even if u kept 1oz simcoe, which is fine, I would toss in at 10/15/20 depending on ibu calcs.

You have 8oz late hops to play with...not gonna hurt you. I'd even cut the hopstand a bit to double dry-hop :)

I dont think you'll get enough bitterness. Half ounce of mag & then a ton at 5min and under seems like poor utilization. Even if u kept 1oz simcoe, which is fine, I would toss in at 10/15/20 depending on ibu calcs.

You have 8oz late hops to play with...not gonna hurt you. I'd even cut the hopstand a bit to double dry-hop :)

I see your point. One reason I only had a half oz magnum is because it was at 90 minutes. But you think 1 oz won't be too strong at 90 mins?

I prefer very early hopping and very late hopping. I think you get the most out of your bitterness the earlier it is, and the most out of your flavor/aroma the later it is. So might as well have very early and very late. That was my reasoning anyway.

You should plug it into beersmith/brewtarget to check. I just ran .5 Mag@90min and 1oz simcoe@5min and got only 30.9 IBU's. That's low...

So no, I dont think 1oz @ 90 is too much. Also, take the 1 oz simcoe to 20min & ibu's jump to 47.5 --> more on your way.

Yes, you get some bitterness from flavor hops, but not enough to fill the above spread. GL man

Lagger,

Thanks again for the post. I don't have beersmith but I'll take your word for it. I still like to only early and late hop, so I'll make the 90 minute magnum 1.5 oz and see how that goes.

Back