What is this in my IPA? Yeast maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
I have these white spongy looking things floating in my carboy. It's an IPA dry hopped with 2oz of Centennial. I am about to rack this into my keg, been dry hopping for 5 days.

IMG_0901.jpg
IMG_0902.jpg
IMG_0903.jpg

Probably left over krausen from fermentation that didn't drop out if suspension. I've had it in several of my beers over the years. It will be fine. Just try to leave it behind when racking.

That's interesting indeed! A new one to me; can't recall ever seeing "yeast rafts" before :D. Aside from it's pithy appearance, it looks benign to me (FWIW) :D

I'm not worried about it because it smells and tastes good. I was just curious for education purposes since this is only my second IPA.

That's interesting indeed! A new one to me; can't recall ever seeing "yeast rafts" before :D. Aside from it's pithy appearance, it looks benign to me (FWIW) :D

Maybe the wrong terminology, I had something that looked very close to that in a cranberry wine that I did, I asked an experienced brewer what it was and that is what he told me. Is that not a real thing or is it something that he just made up.

You got me, but I like the term - yeast rafts. It's like they're in there having a party - hanging out on rafts. I've adopted it!!

No yeast rafts are real, I usually see them as little pieces of yeast and trub that get kicked up or tiny rafts of krausen that hasn't fallen. Those pics look like my cold break looks - like big globs of tofu or wet popcorn.

It looks like congealed proteins from the cold break to me.

And yes...
"yeast raft" is a real term. That doesn't look like yeast rafts to me, though.

It looks like congealed proteins from the cold break to me.

And yes...
"yeast raft" is a real term. That doesn't look like yeast rafts to me, though.

That's what I was thinking if its not yeast rafts. I guess I had a good cold break with my whirlfloc :)

I've had plenty of those floaties in my brew. If they are big like yours, you can easily leave them behind. I had a blonde I did that was FILLED with tiny floaties everywhere and of course kept clogging the siphon tube. Beer was fine. As others have mentioned, cold break material plus yeast probably. You'll see plenty of weird stuff floating from fermentation over years

Thanks guys! I racked to my keg and was able to leave all that crap behind in the carboy. My beer came out super clear. The hop bag also helped tremendously with keeping the hop material behind. This IPA will be delicious :)

Latest posts

Back