Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhurst111

Reaction score
So my neighbor has decided he wants to learn to brew beer after just consuming my output for the past 7 years. I was thinking a simple recipe, but he comes back with 'i had a bourbon barrel aged ale that was awesome - let's make that'.

Never one to back down from a challenge i agree.
2 problems:
1 - never made one
2 - want to make 10 gallons to split between the 2 of us and only a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer for my boil kettle.

I am basing the recipe off of the first recipe from this thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/my-kentucky-bourbon-barrel-ale-attempt-281790/

I can solve issue #2 by a partial mash approach to my recipe design, which i have done before - basically boil a higher OG and dilute down with 'top off' to my target OG. Load up on the hops so the IBU dilutes down also.

I have been playing with both Brewers Assistant and Brewers Friend and both come up with similar output on this recipe.

12 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Carapils
2 lbs Wheat malt
1 lb Crystal 40L

Mash at 150 F for 60 min. batch sparge to get 7 gallons to start the boil.

3.5 oz Kent Golding (5.8%) at 60
1 oz Fuggle (5.0%) at 5

i get on OG on 6 gallon boil diluted to 10.5gal = 1.040 to 1.049. IBU in the 30-42 range (depending on which calculator is used).

I figure i mix between two of my 6.5 gallon fermentation buckets to get a uniform OG, plus that should be plenty of aeration

Yeast i am thinking American Ale (WLP60) - create a 1L starter and split between the two buckets.
Should i create a 2L starter to split for 10 Gal?

Ferment and then add chips (?) cubes (?) spirals (?) soaked in bourbon to the secondary.
1 bucket gets Jack Daniels, the other is going to get either Makers Mark, or a local bourbon from one of the Colorado distillers.

Any ideas or input would be welcome. We are planning on brewing June 8 or 9, so i have a week or so to finalize the plan.

Bump...looking for ideas on best method to oak. 2-3 oz of chips, or cubes. Anyone tried the spirals... how long to keep in secondary.

I've only done one stout on oak cubes and it came out well. The benefit of cubes is that the beer can sit on them for a longer time and not be overwhelmed by oak flavor. Any longer than a few weeks on chips is too much.

As far as the yeast goes just google Mr. Malty calculator and plug in your O.G. and volume it'll tell you what to do.

Back