Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Sassafras/sarsaparilla root beer recipe?

Old 05-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
klowneyy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sassafras/sarsaparilla root beer recipe?

Does anyone have a good root beer recipe using sassafras/sarsaparilla root?

Old 05-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Try this thread... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/i-ne...pplier-362079/

I have made Crazy8's recipe several times now....awesome!

Old 05-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
klowneyy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc
Try this thread... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/i-ne...pplier-362079/

I have made Crazy8's recipe several times now....awesome!
Thank you so much!!!!! Can I ask how it compares to store bought root beer? I have made a recipe before and it only called for sassafras/sarsaparilla root and I wasn't a fan of it at all.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:41 AM   #4
pkrath84
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Did you use the actual root for the sassafras, or extract? If extract, how much?

I cant seem to find sassafras bark for sale anywhere that has it in stock... Is it because of the FDA ban? Or is it a seasonal item? I have no idea...

Old 07-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klowneyy View Post

Thank you so much!!!!! Can I ask how it compares to store bought root beer? I have made a recipe before and it only called for sassafras/sarsaparilla root and I wasn't a fan of it at all.
Sorry for not checking this...but this blows away commercial root beer. Reminds me of the rootbeer my Mom used to throw together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrath84 View Post

I cant seem to find sassafras bark for sale anywhere that has it in stock... Is it because of the FDA ban? Or is it a seasonal item? I have no idea...
When we dug sassafras root growing up we only did so Spring thru Fall and never after first frost. If you have sassafras in your area, check farmer's markets I just grabbed some there, talk about fresh. You can also find it on eBay, many spice vendors there.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
klowneyy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc

Sorry for not checking this...but this blows away commercial root beer. Reminds me of the rootbeer my Mom used to throw together.

When we dug sassafras root growing up we only did so Spring thru Fall and never after first frost. If you have sassafras in your area, check farmer's markets I just grabbed some there, talk about fresh. You can also find it on eBay, many spice vendors there.
I got my from amazon

Old 07-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Crazy8
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

OH MY WORD YOU GUYS...You're going to make me cry. I don't even know what to say. To be honest I have heard such comments from people I work with that have had it, and I guess I just don't get it. Perhaps its true that we are our own worst critics. I am glad that it is enjoyed by many though. I just came across this this post and thought to myself "Hmmmm maybe I should submit my recipe for this guy." and as soon as I started reading I was shocked. Saramc, thank you so much for your praises I am glad you like it so much and Klowneyy if you try it I hope it all works out well for you and that you also enjoy it. For those that are interested...This recipe is what I am now calling my "Signature" recipe. It has changed much since I posted those ingredients. Where it stands now does have some things I am keeping secret, at least for now, but here is kind of what it looks like now.

Ingredients:
8 Qts. Water
24 oz. Honey
1/4 tsp. Salt (try without)
1/4 cp. Sarsaparilla
1/4 cp. Sassafras
1 1/2 cp. Brown Sugar (only use light brown sugar)
2 tsp. Vanilla Flavoring (not extract)
1/4 cp. Chopped Raisins
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1/4 tsp. Champagne Yeast (1/4tsp/ gal)

I removed juniper berries because as I really paid attention to the flavors, I was picking up something in the background that I couldn't decide if I liked or not. So I looked over all my ingredients and I thought "Well the only "weird" thing here is maybe the juniper berries." Sure enough once I removed them that odd background flavor was no longer there.

Klowneyy, or anyone else who may be interested, I have a YouTube channel that goes through some root beer brewing stuff, sanitizing, etc. that you might find helpful. Just do a search in YouTube for KD0RVY. Thats a zero not an "O". Hope this helps.
People Like This 
Old 07-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
pkrath84
Recipes 

^Its REALLY good stuff!

My only problem has been hunting down sassafras bark. It's unavialable everywhere including amazon right now, everone's out. I just bought 2lbs of fresh dug/cut sassafras on ebay... Anyone have experience with the fresh root? How much to use?

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Crazy8
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Yeah its crazy how that stuff seems to be in stock everywhere and POOF! everyone is out. Another place to check is mountainroseherbs.com I don't have experience with freshly dug roots but I do know that the roots are better if harvested during the cold winter months. This is because all of the sap (the flavor) will be in the roots rather than in the branches. To my knowledge, fresh root should be the same quantity as its counterpart. The only factor I could see in this is that if the root (not twigs) was not harvested in winter, then the flavor might not be as potent, and if that's the case, then you may need to use more. But again I don't have experience yet with freshly dug roots.

I have heard of people harvesting root and twigs in the warmer seasons, but that sap is going to be in higher quantity in the twigs/branches, in those warmer months.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
pkrath84
Recipes 

Thanks for the info! I'll play with it a bit and report back. I ordered 2lbs from an ebay seller and he even cuts to size for easy handling!

Only problem is I wish it'd get here faster because I wanted to make another batch, like last week!