Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > New brewhouse = big efficiency miscalculation. Questions...

Old 05-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default New brewhouse = big efficiency miscalculation. Questions...

I went all out and bought a new rig recently. 10 gal cooler mash tun and a converted keggle. First batch was a saison, I hit 60% efficiency. No big deal. I was a BIAB brewer and that was my standard. I figured I would have to run a few batches through before dialing in my process. So for my second brew on this setup, I made a Double IPA. Bought enough grain for 1.077 OG at 60% efficiency, but whoops, I hit 75%. I'm not complaining about the ABV, as I now have a 1.096 OG DIPA. Could be worse, I guess. Anyway, the problem is that I only made a 1.7 L starter (WLP007). It's off and running and fermenting great, but I would hate to have my yeast peter out early. Should I chuck in a rehydrated packet of S-04? or should I leave it? BrewSmith recommends a 1.97 L starter. I'm about 25 billion yeast cells short.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
mike_in_ak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

The difference seems to be a pretty small percentage. As in optimal vs. pretty much optimal. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

And if your yeast stalls out a little high, you could pitch something else and your yeast profile should be pretty well established by the initial fermentation.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
isleofman
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 295

70 - 75 is standard for me with a 10g cooler. Did you switch HBS between the 1st and 2nd AG batch? You may be dealing with a different crush between the two.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
ICWiener
Recipes 

haha... yeah, about that...my regular LHBS accidentally crushed 3 lbs of crystal 40 into the mix instead of 3/4 lb. They write the grain amounts on the bag, but I didn't double check...so I found out on brewday. I scooped out half of the grain, ran down to the shop down the street (not my regular shop) and had them grind up more base malt to add back in. I probably ended up w/1.5 lb of C40, which isn't terrible I guess. Double what I wanted, but these things happen. Long story short, grain and milling from two different shops.

Personally, I think I just figured a few things out, got more out of the gear on the second run through. Since I'm still getting the hang of it, I probably should have done a low gravity beer to be safe, but fortune favors the bold.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
isleofman
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Wow...

Well, I still think your yeast pitching rate will be fine. Good luck dialing in the new system.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
ICWiener
Recipes 

Update: I got 7 straight days of very, very active fermentation on this one (today is day 10). I took out the blowoff tube to put in an airlock last night. Took a sample and it's at 1.020...still bubbling, just not as actively. I'll check again in a week. Hoping to shave at least another 4 or 5 points off of the gravity.

It tasted fantastic, which surprised me a bit, considering it's 10.2% abv and barely over a week old.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Sounds like you're already in a good spot on this. Should be a hefty DIPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 05-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
ICWiener
Recipes 

Quote:
Sounds like you're already in a good spot on this. Should be a hefty DIPA.
Yeah. It's gonna be a brute...pushing 11% by the time it's done. Triple IPA?

I kicked up the temp. a bit just to help the yeast finish out. Started at 66F, let it go for 4 days, then brought it up 1 degree per day to 70. Last night I set it to free rise to 72. I'll leave it there until it's done.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
ICWiener
Recipes 

Two weeks since brewday on this and the yeast has pooped out. It finished at 1.018. I'm bummed it's that high, but there's a lot of crystal in there, so I'm not too surprised. The hydro sample tastes phenomenal, so I guess I won't stress out on the FG reading. It's not cloying or sweet tasting at all. Just hops, hops, and more hops.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I wouldn't be disappointed in that result whatsoever. You got a huge-ass beer, huge ABV, that's not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!