Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Multiple strain fermentation

Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
DrVertebrae
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Multiple strain fermentation

I've been having unusually good luck with my brews ever since I started this brewing thing. I think a big part of that is due to the good info I get here. Today's question is related to using multiple yeast strains.

I have a wee heavy brewing (12lbs maris otter extract/2lbs crystal 60l steeped) with Danstar Winsdor. I don't think it can handle the gravity or alcohol content to get this to completion so I am going to pitch an active Nottingham culture tonight at the third day of fermentation. The Winsdor is beginning to peter out.

I think I have this right. The first yeast is for flavor characteristics and the second to more fully attenuate it.

Any pointers from the yeast experts here? Nutrients needed? Anything else?