The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks. My wife's b-day is right around SuperBowl and we throw a big party. I feel bad that she is so stressed and busy that time of year.

Ok, stop whatever you're doing, get on Amazon and order this!

Do it now!

Christ! What are you waiting for?!!!

sd pep.jpg

Last minute, made a margherita for the first time. Usually I put on as many veggies and meats as I can find in the house on homemade rye sourdough. This time, picked up a dough ball at the local grocer, stretched the dough as far as it would let me, pre-baked it at 450, added slightly more than half a can of Dei Fratelli pizza sauce left over from a previous pizza, added nearly all of an 8 ounce ball of fresh low moisture mozzarella, topped with homegrown basil, drizzled with olive oil, and baked at 550.

My dinner guest and I were quite satisfied.

2016-10-16 18.37.26.jpg

Please post back with results!

Ok, well the party was a huge success! Perfect weather. Lots of family and friends. And lots of pizza. 28 pizzas to be exact. I was too busy for pics and besides, my phone was on the deck running the tunes. However, I did just now make a pie in the kitchen with a leftover doughball, baked in a 12" pan. Cheese, Sausage and Sweety Drops. They are good but to be honest, not as Earth-shatteringly so as I originally thought. I still think they're worth trying but for the price, I won't buy them more than once or twice a year. I think they'd be good in a salad or on a steak maybe. Anyway, here's tonights pie.

sweety2.jpg

20161017_173904_001sweety.jpg

Two more pies tonight just to use up the rest of the leftovers. One cheese, pepperoni, sausage and carmelized onion and one plain cheese with garlic/basil pesto. Once again baked in a greased pan in the kitchen oven.

Those look great! Ignoring the fact that you actually have a wood fired oven, what is your pan like? Heavy? Light? Preheated? Oven temperature? Inquiring minds want to know!!

This one isn't marked but I have others from Pizza Hut and some marked Chicago Metallic. They're all about the same. Medium weight aluminum I think. They're non-magnetic and they all have the same green-brown finish. I got some on ebay and some from a flea market and others my friend, Norma gave me. I usually bake on the center rack @ 475 til about halfway then move to an upper shelf til done.

20161018_213815pan.jpg

Looks great guys. I am going to make a couple pies tomorrow night after work.. Now I need to figure out toppings.

@kev211 can I ask what dough recipe you use?

Looks great guys. I am going to make a couple pies tomorrow night after work.. Now I need to figure out toppings.

@kev211 can I ask what dough recipe you use?

Sure! I dont weigh it thought like you pizza masters do. I go old school... measuring cups and a little by feel. I use about 1 cup of high gluten 00 flour, 2/3 cup of water, 1tsp sugar, 3Tblspns olive oil and salt to taste. Sometimes Ill toss some garlic powder or other seasonings depending on the pie. I use a hand mixer to get everything mixed initially and then knead by hand adding flour until it has the right consistency and stretch

Sorry, not super exact, but it makes good dough.

Made 3 pies. Capricolla and hot honey, caramelized garlic and shaved asparagus, and a gorgonzola, mushroom and spinach. Not my best. As you can see that damn steel just keeps heating up. That first one was after an hour+ preheat but still not at terminal toastocity. By the third I was burning, even by my standards and I like a well done pie from time to time. Although I did good by the peel. The spinach one was stacked high and I pulled it off. Gotta look for the bright side😳

View attachment 1477070219876.jpg

View attachment 1477070230778.jpg

View attachment 1477070242090.jpg

Think I learned who the show-offs are! ��

Sorry if I appear like a show off... not the intention here.. I just like to cook pizza and Thursday night is a tradition for me and my son so we spend quality time together, I'll stop posting pictures if it offend people... sorry again...

Sorry if I appear like a show off... not the intention here.. I just like to cook pizza and Thursday night is a tradition for me and my son so we spend quality time together, I'll stop posting pictures if it offend people... sorry again...

Noooooo. I like seeing your pics! Its inspiration for my pies!

Please don't stop!

You guys who are getting nice dark brown crust on top - how are you doing it? what kind of oven - gas, electric, wood???

Since i got a gas oven I get great browning on the bottom but the top is always soft and pale colored. i'm thinking my gas oven is the culprit because when i had an electric everything browned so much better.

Unfortunately, I can't get good crust color to save my life since I replaced my old Maytag electric with a new Samsung a couple years ago. What a total piece of junk it is! The flat top range is no better either. We're remodeling the kitchen soon and this thing's going to the dump!
The Blackstone like Icebob has makes a great pizza.

You can try finishing under the broiler if you have one. I've been starting on steel and then moving the pie onto an inverted pizza pan below the steel as close as I can get it. The steel gets hot enough to radiate some good heat downwards. I would think a stone would basically do the same thing. The broiler will too but can be harder to get to cook even, at least for me.

Electric ovens do brown better by their nature. Use the convection or quick bake setting if you have. It really enhances browning. Works great for different take on focaccia too.

Looks good to me, but I think everyone feels the lure of the Blackstone. I'm trying to figure out how to get Evets to come build me his wfo. Haha... No really.

Isn't the point of this thread to show off your pizza? Keep it coming.

It's been a while since we made pizza, so I'll post an old one in solidarity. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1477158024.462808.jpg

Looks good to me, but I think everyone feels the lure of the Blackstone. I'm trying to figure out how to get Evets to come build me his wfo. Haha... No really.

Don't get me wrong, it was a really good pie, just not what i wanted it to be (which may not even have been as good - who knows). I am looking for that deep mahongany brown crust that is lightly and airy, while the center of the pizza is thin but the crust is crispy enough that it doesn't flop, and preferably shatters when bent.

My bread has suffered the same fate since i got a gas range. I love the gas cooktop and would never go back to electric, but my next oven will definitely go back to electric.

I made this pizza about 6 years ago and it had all these qualities, but this oven just won't do it.

pizza.png
pizza2.jpg

No, No, NO! This fourm is about what you make, how you get there and sharing it. You're not a show off if you're having fun and making great pies. Like others have said, you're an inspiration. I love looking at you and your sons pies and I don't even make my own pizza. Please keep spending time with your son and posting the results.

Oh a whim i decided to take the leftover piece of dough from last night's pizza, roll it out into a baguette and bake it. After 30 minutes it was registering 208F in the middle but the outside was still pale.... so i broiled it for about 5 minutes until it was the brown color i like. The bread was actually one of the better loaves i've made with respect to crust texture, so i think next time i make a pizza in this POS oven i'm going to do the usual preheat at 550F for an hour, but i'm going to cook the pizza under broil. Since the bottom is getting so browned, but not the top it has to be due to an imbalance of heat.

With the steel, what about heating it on broil or 550 about 6 inches below the top. Then cooking the pizza on it after its preheated, using the broiler?

Back