Tsp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nbates1982

Reaction score
Was planning on making my own pbw, can i use regular tsp instead of tsp-90. Or are they the same thing? all i could find at home depot was tsp. If not whats the difference between the two? Thanks

I wouldn't recommend using real/regular tsp, trisodium phosphate. Tsp90 is a completely different compound, sodium metasilicate.

I thought that they couldn't sell TSP (phosphate) anymore. Well let me restate. Because phosphates cause plant blooms (algee?) in run off, most areas have banned phosphates, thus TSP as phosphate can't be used in many areas. So I guess what I'm getting at is TSP still trisodium phosphate, or did the formula get changed in order to keep a national market?

Yea they still sell it. Im in michigan got it home depot yesterday. They also have a liquid tsp as well.

Yea they still sell it. Im in michigan got it home depot yesterday. They also have a liquid tsp as well.

I know that they sell a product called TSP, my question was more of is it still trisodium phosphate, or have they just kept the name and replaced the ingredients. Just because it is called 'Coke' doesn't mean the soda still has cocaine in it.

OTOH, if you are saying that the ingredient list/warning label was consistant with trisodium phosphate, then it is still sold.

The warning label says contains trisodium phosphate and sodium carbonate. I dont see any other ingredients labeled. Not sure if thats it or not

So, can regular TSP (trisodium phosphate) be used in DIY PBW or does it absolutely need to be TSP/90?

I ask that because here, in Alberta, sodium metasilicate (TSP/90) is impossible to find easily. We only get the real TSP up here!

Can I use it, mixed with Oxiclean, to make my own PBW?

Back