White House Honey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomebrewNate

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed the White House Honey Ale or Honey Porter recipe that is available online (and through Austin Homebrew)? I am thinking of trying one of them and curious how it has come out. Also curious about the level of honey notes in the finished product.

I made the honey porter, the recipe I had called for 1lb of honey for a 5 gal batch, very subtle honey character. Everyone loved the beer even "non-dark" beer drinkers. It was a huge hit at the Super Bowl party only a gal or so left in the keg.

I just bottled the white house honey ale (not porter). GF is an Obama fan and likes non bitter sweet beers. So she actually bought a kit from northern brewer and gave it to me and said brew, haha, no complaints from me. After sec before bottling it tasted ok. You could smell honey but couldn't really taste it. Overrated from initial impression, but ill let you like after it carbonates. I plan to try one this weekend. Ill let you know

Great thanks... I was thinking of making a honey inspired beer because I love the flavor of honey and there is a local brewery here that does a great honey ale. I really want the honey flavors to stand out and 1 lb of honey didn't seem like enough. I may try the recipe and add more honey depending on the feedback I get.

I've made it. I wouldn't go too far on the honey without upping the hops too otherwise it'll be way too sweet IMO. Maybe another pound of honey in place of the DME and another ounce of EKG around ten minutes

ForumRunner_20130320_193655.jpg

Just opened one. Not overrated, actually really good. Nice honey taste, noticeable but not overpowering. Definitely recommend this one

BigAlex said:
Just opened one. Not overrated, actually really good. Nice honey taste, noticeable but not overpowering. Definitely recommend this one

How long did you leave it in the bottle? I'm coming up on 3 weeks since bottling and I plan on putting some in the fridge then, but I've read places that the beer really improves if left to condition for 6-8 weeks or more. Don't know if I can wait that long.

Only 2 weeks. Opened one atv1 week, tasted great but not enough carbonation, 2 weeks was great, longer wouldnt hurt but I dont know if it would really influence taste that much. Let me know how yours are

BigAlex said:
Only 2 weeks. Opened one atv1 week, tasted great but not enough carbonation, 2 weeks was great, longer wouldnt hurt but I dont know if it would really influence taste that much. Let me know how yours are

Will do. I'm on the wagon this week, but as soon as Sunday gets here I will bust one open for sure.

Ok, so just popped a couple of these open... not sure what I was expecting. I really don't taste any honey flavor, and kind of bitter/hoppy... not all that bad, but not one that I will probably be brewing again.

Back