First Batch -- Am I Ready to Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maybenaut

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Brewers Best American Amber Ale. Brew day was 2 March. Instructions said OG should be between 1.050 and 1.054. My OG was 1.043. BUT I don't know if I measured it right. I *think* the temp was around 65 when I measured the OG, but I don't know for sure. Also, I forgot to twirl the hydrometer in the tube so it may have been sitting on some air. I don't know. It sat in the primary for 1 week, then went to the secondary on 9 March (so it's been in the secondary 8 days). The FG is supposed to be between 1.012 and 1.015. I measured the G today and it is 1.012 exactly (and it tastes awesome, but a little yeasty). So my question is, I've hit my target FG, but I'm afraid it may be too soon to bottle (although I have no real reason to think that other than fear). What do you think?

Test it again in a few days, if its still the same gravity you can bottle. You dont have to secondary your typical normal beers, just leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks, take a few fg readings and when stable after 3+ weeks bottle

definitely test it again in 2 days and if it's still the same bottle.

As far as the secondary.....I do it for all of mine. It's a big debate but do some research, try it both ways, and then do what you prefer. Good luck!

Back