Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > California HomeBrew Forum > SD Fair competition - gap between drop off and judging

Old 07-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #11
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Brewing like Jehu! Ha! good one...

I was judging next to 23A, they had three or four judges, I saw at least three gushers! but they had a lot of entries, lots of solo judging going on. I judged 12 solo. I heard a rumor that next year the judging is going to be done off site, and there will be an awards ceremony at the fair, and may be have live judging of best in show...but that just what a couple people where saying. We where using the truncated score sheets so there was not to much room to wright comments.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared
Brewing like Jehu! Ha! good one...

I was judging next to 23A, they had three or four judges, I saw at least three gushers! but they had a lot of entries, lots of solo judging going on. I judged 12 solo. I heard a rumor that next year the judging is going to be done off site, and there will be an awards ceremony at the fair, and may be have live judging of best in show...but that just what a couple people where saying. We where using the truncated score sheets so there was not to much room to wright comments.
I think that category is certainly prone to "the gusher". I hope they get it figured out next year. This year did not seem as festive. Maybe because we were not allowed to drink our entries like years past ;-) Were you judging the meads?

Old 07-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #13
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyKettleBrewing View Post
I think that category is certainly prone to "the gusher". I hope they get it figured out next year. This year did not seem as festive. Maybe because we were not allowed to drink our entries like years past ;-) Were you judging the meads?
Yes I had Melomels, 11 C (Specialty fruit) and 1 A (traditional). I did not hang out long this year, I had plans for later in the afternoon, but it's been getting less festive the past few years. The winner was a Raspberry chipotle mead, It was very balanced, great fruit and pepper heat balance with some smokey notes and a good dry finish. I don't normally drink meads but that was a good one.

I think a good Idea would be to give each person who enters one or two drink tickets, and have a couple of the local breweries brew up a batch of the best of show and runner up from the previous year to be served during the awards ceremony.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
surfingpl
Recipes 

I entered but didn't place, congrats to those who did. Anybody know where we can see the scorecards?