Repitched Yeast into Finished Beer! What Did I Do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought the beer wasn't fermenting and it was. I didn't take any gravity readings, lesson learned there. I originally re-pitched on top of an old yeast cake. I didn't see vigorous or really any fermentation so I thought it didn't work. I made a starter of the same strain of yeast 24 hrs ago and pitched it a little bit ago. At the same time I decided to finally take an gravity sample. I didn't look at it until after I pitched the yeast, dope again. It is 1.007, so the beer is done and was pitched with more yeast. What is going to happen?

The Recipe
Fermentables
Amount PPG °L Bill %
9 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Amber 35 10 83.7%
6 oz pinchello (sp)
1 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 80L 33 80 9.3%
0.75 lb American - Dark Chocolate 29 420 7%
Hops
Amount Variety Time AA IBU Type Use
2 oz Cascade 60 min 7 32.53 Leaf/Whole Boil
2 oz Chinook 1 min 4.5 0.9 Leaf/Whole Boil
1 oz Cascade 0 min 7 Leaf/Whole Aroma
Other Ingredients
Amount Name Time Type Use
3 oz Ginger root 60 min Herb Boil

The yeast will wander in, see that there's no work for them to do, get loaded and fall asleep. Sort of like I do on Sunday after the honey-do list is finished.

In other words, nothing.

BTW What's pinchello?

Pinchello-Bell_mugshot.400x800.jpg

Bing says it's this guy, but he doesn't look like he'd enjoy having six ounces removed.

What yeast did you use to take your brew down to 1.007? That's crazy attenuation.

*snip* I originally re-pitched on top of an old yeast cake. *snip* I made a starter of the same strain of yeast 24 hrs ago and pitched it a little bit ago. *snip*

If the yeast were different strains, I'd not reuse this batch of yeast.

My original thought as well, but it looks like he'll be good.

Though with the attenuation I'm a little worried about infection now that I think about it. 1.007 is awfully low considering the recipe.

Back