Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Beginner DIY Projects

Old 02-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Beginner DIY Projects

Regardless of if related to brewing, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on beginner DIY projects to boost my skill level that are apartment friendly?

I haven't worked on a DIY project since I moved out of my parents house, there I did a variety of stuff from fixing a guitar, to building a guitar, to helping my dad build a shed, and a few other things. I'm just scared I'm losing my touch so I was wonder what would be some good intro level stuff I can do without doing anything that's too big of a project (for space) and doesn't involve fire or anything that you can't use in an apartment. Some light work of that is acceptable if the project can be transported as I can go to my parents or my brothers for a day.

Any ideas are very appreciated. I just don't want my skills to diminish too much more.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
ctbrewer227
Recipes 

Build a stirplate, involves basic wiring and you can do it on the cheap.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
DavetheDog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I recently built a dual boot Hackintosh/Windows 7 desktop POWERHOUSE. It can get a bit expensive but it was a lot of fun and there are plenty of ways to customize and personalize. In the end you have a great, fast new computer.

Awesome avatar, by the way.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Miller4
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This ladder ball set isn't entirely related to brewing, however it is a very easy do-it-yourself, and definitely can be played while brewing, also it makes you work with pvc, so I suppose it would help for making a manifold for a mash tun. All you need is a hack saw, drill, pvc pipe, pipe glue, golf balls, and rope.

http://justbuildstuff.com/wp-content...7/10/pipes.gif

Old 02-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

I live in a condo...I'm always doing DIY projects. (Some including fire. )

I built a keezer with custom changable tap handles.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 851 Posts
Likes Given: 148

hop spider was my first DIY... if you can call attaching a muslin bag to a stainless steel InSinkErator sink flange and then to the side of my brew kettle with a binder clip, "DIY"

immersion chiller was next, followed by a mash paddle, then mash tun with CPVC manifold

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Awesome ideas so far. Keep em coming. I may just do a stir plate that's a good idea. I haven't done any wire work in a few years and it would probably help to give it a shot again.

I would build a computer, but I just assembled a Frankencomputer so I have no desire to deal with that again haha.

I think the ladderball would be a good ideal, we like playing it in the summer and I believe that my dad saved my old hockey goal so I probably just use that for PVC and L connectors.

I'm thinking of doing a hop spider, I think it's a good idea and I have a nylon bag that doesn't work for BIAB that I use for hop additions now and if we my brother and I make our own extract.

I'm going to work on immersion chiller, but that's a project that my brother and I want to do cause he has a ton of copper piping at his house and I just need to assess it. Can you make an immersion chiller from any copper piping or does it have to be flexible. Note I'm not afraid to use a blow torch to get metal to do what I want.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I live in a condo...I'm always doing DIY projects. (Some including fire. )

I built a keezer with custom changable tap handles.
I'm about 90% sure I"d get dumped if I tried building a keezer in my apartment. That's waiting until my brother gets his stuff in order. Which is why I want to do some basic stuff. I have to go back to my parents to finish my guitar which needs about 20 more coating of clear coat and a hole drilled out of it.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Build a brew stand out of wood or strut. Build an electric kettle for those cold-ass days. Build a milling station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
mccumath
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

First DIY was an immersion chiller, which then was magically converted into a counter flow chiller.

And a Mash Tun is easy too