First lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksubowman

Reaction score
So I brewed up my first lager. A european pilsner lager. Threw in the WLP800 liquid yeast and stored at room temp until first signs of fermentation. Then I moved to a room that was 55 degrees. We had a heat wave in Kansas in January and the room temp went up to 59. The beer was bubbling like crazy. I moved to garage immediately that was 48 degrees. It was at 59 degrees for about 36 hours. Did I ruin the batch. It's in a fridge sitting between 46 and 50. It's day 5 and its still bubbling with a good krausen on the top. The instructions say store between 50-55 for around 10 day then move to secondary at 35-40 for several weeks. I have read where temp control is vital for a pilsner lager. Did I screw up my first lager?

First, I'd recommend always pitching cool and letting it ramp up. With WLP800, I pitch around 48-49F. Second, depending on how long your beer had been fermenting before the temp increase, it could be totally fine! If 2+ days, you're golden; any less and you might get some unexpected esters.

Back