Secondary Fermentation...Carboy Fart???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madirish

Reaction score
Never seen this happen. First AG (IPA) has been sitting in secondary -dry-hopping for 5 days. It has been calm since racking but developed a green film on top that I assume was from the hops. Took a peak tonight and some time in the last day some kind of re-activation has taken place. I have hops particles on the inside of the glass carboy up the side, and inside the airlock. It has settled back down, but now have bubbles forming on top of the hops and it looks like the film is starting to fall back into the wort. I know there has not been any change in fermentation temperature, it has been at 66 degrees for a week. First time dry hopping, first AG brew as well.

Anyone have a similar experience?
I was going to bottle this weekend, should I let it sit another week?
I dry hopped by putting hops pellets into carboy, then racking on top of the hops, is it common for hops matter to rise to the top and form a film? Had to be a big explosion as it is a 6 gallon carboy and slightly more than 5 gallon fill.

Appreciate any input.

Back