Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Headed to Dallas
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
bluemoose
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bluemoose's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Vermont
Posts: 2,497
Liked 180 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Headed to Dallas

What are the beers I have to try while I am down there?


__________________
Beer makes me pee.
bluemoose is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Xanatos903
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kerrville, Tx
Posts: 22
Likes Given: 2

Default

Not sure if you can get Real Ale up in Dallas, but I'd definitely give them a shot. Their Full Moon RyePA, and Rio Blanco Pale Ale very good beers. Independence Brewery also has some very good beers. I really like their Bootlegger Brown, and Austin Amber. Rahr and Sons Ugly Pug black lager is a great beer, and should be available up there.

I'm not familiar with any brewpubs or anything in Dallas, but the beers I mentioned are staples in my part of Texas, and really should be available up there.


Xanatos903 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
dougp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 90
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Deep Ellum IPA is great, they're in Dallas.

Texas breweries you probably can't get in Vermont:

San Antonio:
Real Ale
Ranger Creek

Austin:
512
Live Oak
Independence (Currently done at Real Ale)

Houston:
Karbach
Southern Star
Saint Arnold
No Label
Buffalo Bayou

Dallas:
Rahr & Sons
Deep Ellum

I'm probably missing some but those are Texas breweries that don't go very far outside of our border, as well as some of the more local Shiner beers.
dougp is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
MyNameIsPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MyNameIsPaul's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 1,072
Liked 159 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default

If you can get your hands on some Karbach in Dallas, it's the best thing going in TX right now, IMHO. Not sure if they distribute up to Dallas yet though.
MyNameIsPaul is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
dcbc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 325
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

My friend Michael owns and operates Peticolas Brewing Company. He opened in 01-2012 and won gold this past year at GABF with his English Pale Ale - Royal Scandal. His Imperial Red "Velvet Hammer is very good, too.

www.peticolasbrewing.com
__________________
Brew Stands Gallery
dcbc is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Indytruks138
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,170
Liked 242 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 649

Default

I would suggest going to one of the good local bars, Common Table, Meddlesome Moth, Strageways in Dallas, and trying as many locals as possible. I would put on my list as definites: Peticolas Velvet Hammer, the best beer in Dallas, Deep Ellum IPA, Lakewood Temptress, on nitro if possible, and their Hop Trapp. Four Corners isn't great, same with Firewheel. Rahr is solid but unless you can get a special seasonal they are not outstanding, jsut solid good beer. I often volunteer at Deep Ellum Brewing and Peticolas, its hard to go wrong with any of their beer. If you are here on a Saturday I'd suggest going to a brewery tour, PM me if you need more info, Dallas is probably one of the fastest growing craft beer spots in America right now, its a great place to be for beer.
__________________
2 Punks Brewery
Indytruks138 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Red_Scooter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 68
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Besides those mentioned, I'd add Franconia and Lakewood to the other breweries to checkout from Dallas. Austin Beer Works and Jester King from Austin.

Lots of great beers being produced in Texas. And several craft breweries currently set to come on line soon.
Red_Scooter is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
MyNameIsPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MyNameIsPaul's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 1,072
Liked 159 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indytruks138 View Post
I would suggest going to one of the good local bars, Common Table, Meddlesome Moth, Strageways in Dallas, and trying as many locals as possible. I would put on my list as definites: Peticolas Velvet Hammer, the best beer in Dallas, Deep Ellum IPA, Lakewood Temptress, on nitro if possible, and their Hop Trapp. Four Corners isn't great, same with Firewheel. Rahr is solid but unless you can get a special seasonal they are not outstanding, jsut solid good beer. I often volunteer at Deep Ellum Brewing and Peticolas, its hard to go wrong with any of their beer. If you are here on a Saturday I'd suggest going to a brewery tour, PM me if you need more info, Dallas is probably one of the fastest growing craft beer spots in America right now, its a great place to be for beer.
Great place for beer, horrible place for everything else, haha!
Hopefully the bars you list aren't full of douchetastic Ed Hardy and Tapout wannabe's. The women are as fake and stuck up as the gals in LA, for no reason whatsoever.

/Go Houston!
//Dallas Flame OFF
///For real though, good beers.
////Slashies.
MyNameIsPaul is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Indytruks138
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,170
Liked 242 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 649

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Scooter View Post
Besides those mentioned, I'd add Franconia and Lakewood to the other breweries to checkout from Dallas. Austin Beer Works and Jester King from Austin.

Lots of great beers being produced in Texas. And several craft breweries currently set to come on line soon.
Absolutely Jester King, I forgot to mention this, you can only get it in bottles in Dallas, but they are one of hte top 3 Texas breweries in my opinion
__________________
2 Punks Brewery
Indytruks138 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Richard-SSV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lake Dallas
Posts: 164
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbc View Post
My friend Michael owns and operates Peticolas Brewing Company. He opened in 01-2012 and won gold this past year at GABF with his English Pale Ale - Royal Scandal. His Imperial Red "Velvet Hammer is very good, too.

www.peticolasbrewing.com
Had "The Velvet Hammer" at the Meddlesome Moth last summer and it was by far my favorite of all the beers I sampled there. Its a very malty beer similar to BJ's Jeremiah Red.


Richard-SSV is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Headed AG Daver77 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 02-15-2011 02:42 AM
Headed to Austin fdoubleprime Texas HomeBrew Forum 8 05-29-2010 08:02 PM
Is this where the US is headed niquejim Debate Forum 203 06-30-2009 11:03 PM
Headed to TX!!!!! nitrousjunkie General Chit Chat 2 06-28-2009 01:10 AM
Headed to Charleston SC bashe General Chit Chat 3 12-31-2008 04:10 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS