Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > WTB (Want To Buy) - Steel Stock and/or Strut For Building a Rig

Old 01-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
nsap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default WTB (Want To Buy) - Steel Stock and/or Strut For Building a Rig

Located in Vermont. Let me know if you have any extra. Can't seem to find strut anywhere around here for less that total rip off prices.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
Commonwealth
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey nsap, i live in Montpelier area and work in Essex. I priced some stainless square stock at capitol steel a year and a half or two years ago. I was looking at 1.5" instead of the 2" and remember it came to just shy of $400 for the 40' called for in the original brutus plans.

I dont know much about metal prices but do know we all need to make a living including the miners and the distribution chain that gets the metal all the way up here to Vermont. That said I haven't coughed up the dough for it cause i was strapped for time and wouldnrather brew than build if given the choice. I did find much cheaper prices at the local metals recycling outfit (like $100-150 for 2" diameter), however he rarely sees square stock only round pipe. The complex joinery required by the round pipe and the fact that i havent procured or learned welding yet has prvented me from going this route. I've got a 10 month old (and he is our fourth in 6 years) so I haven't really been able to find much more free time lately. I would also recommend watching craigslist for scrap or construction leftovers. But i think between a recycler and hawking CL you could find some thing. PM me if you want the recycler's contact info, and lt me know if you stumble into a larger quantity to buy. I could invest in the materials now, one day mybrood will be grown and i will build my own stand ;-)

Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

There is a place in PA here that I buy my steel from and it's 11 for 10 foot 1.5 square 14ga. If I were you, I would look local for steel and find someone to weld it up. Or, if you any type of handy, weld it yourself. I bought a cheap HF welder and have had so much fun learning and using it. I've built two stands and a utility table with it.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you have a local Grainger check them.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You can get strut at Home Depot.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
argoodin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Two questions - are you looking for stick steel or unistrut? Second question - would you be interested in a pre-cut kit for a Brutus 10 or Doghouse rig shipped standard ground shipping, ready to weld?

I guess third question - how does one get a vendor account here?