I recently began (again, the first time didn't go so well) my second venture into the o so illustrious art of Dormshining. This time however I have taken pictures and given specifications as to make this an effective learning experience for me, and people who are interested in creating a little booze for cheap, or just love that feeling of fermentation in their lives.
I will be keeping you up to date on how it will go, and hopefully we will have a finished product in about a week. Here we go!
Btw, sorry about the sideways pictures, I am an amateur at the whole uploading pictures and editing them.
1. I used a 64oz. container of Old Orchard 100% apple juice. This stuff apparently has
Besides that, it has 27g of sugars, and all the other goodies like sodium and potassium and stuff.
2. I soaked all the stuff in a mixture of household bleach, no additives, and water for about 10 minutes. It was about 1 tbsp. per gallon of water, too much? I rinsed it off thoroughly.
3. After that I dried it, poured the yeast into the apple juice (Redstar Champagne Yeast), stirred it a bit, and then put on the stopper and waterlock. I was unable to take a gravity reading because my damn hydrometer broke. Second one that has done this so far...
4. I then set it in my dark cubby hole near the roof of my room. Around 70 degrees, and slid the lid shut on it.
5. And now I wait! From my last experiment the yeast really gets going about an hour after being introduced to the juice. Hopefully it will go well.
If you have any advice or comments, feel free to let me know what you think. Thanks!