So I am doing a detox, and no beer for 7 days...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLP

Interactive
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am doing a detox plan with the girlfriend, and I am going dry the entire time. I travel a lot with my job, so I am used to not having a beer for extended periods of time, but this is horrible. I drink on average of one to two beers a day, so I am not an alcoholic, I just love the hell out of the taste. I made it worse on myself by brewing on day one, and making cider on day two. Now on day four I can see the end. Now I am trying to come up with my celebratory beer to drink, any suggestions?

Jody

I want to know why you're trying some odd 7 day detox in the first place. 7 days isn't nearly enough time to remove any serious "toxins" that you may want to get rid of.

a buddy did a detox plan like that once....he didnt get off the toilet all week. its not a good idea, hopefully you still have time to talk her out of it

So I am doing a detox plan with the girlfriend, and I am going dry the entire time. I travel a lot with my job, so I am used to not having a beer for extended periods of time, but this is horrible. I drink on average of one to two beers a day, so I am not an alcoholic, I just love the hell out of the taste. I made it worse on myself by brewing on day one, and making cider on day two. Now on day four I can see the end. Now I am trying to come up with my celebratory beer to drink, any suggestions?

Jody

I don't want to be a killjoy, but only having one or two beers a day in no way means that you are not an alcoholic. In fact, there are plenty of alcoholics who don't drink at all.

I am sure in the spirit of the post that you are just taking a break, and that is a good thing. To answer your question, I would probably go with a pitcher or three of your favorite session beer, ensuring that you don't do something crazy like this again!

dyennie, I'm going to pitch this to the girlfriend, and see how it goes. As a side note, rice beer gives me serious heads aches.

KBentley57, I am doing it sympathetically. The girlfriend is trying to change her eating habits, and the diet is really just a major flush of fruits and vegetables. She wanted to do it, so I am being the supporting partner. It actually works to help teach a lot about a healthy diet, and she is getting to test her Will power.

Cathedral, it' s one hell of a drug!

ffaoe, I can attest to this. I am becoming like old faithful, and it sucks! Fortunately, today is the hump day.

woknblues, thanks. I think that I will take the pitcher and the favorite beers to boot!

...what? Could you explain this, please? :confused:
:off:
Some people are alcoholics, no matter how much they drink. One drink, thirty drinks, etc, or no drinks since 1974 for example.. A person never stops being an alcoholic once they are one, even if they don't drink (or don't drink anymore)

I could go on, but truthfully, I was just putting it out there as a lot of people think that alcoholism is something they can turn off and on. But, I don't want to rain on JLP's thread, or his celebration. I work in the medical profession and deal with these types of issues regularly and sometimes can't turn away.

NOW BACK TO THE REGULAR THREAD

That first beer back will be damn good. Enjoy!

:off:
Some people are alcoholics, no matter how much they drink. One drink, thirty drinks, etc, or no drinks since 1974 for example.. A person never stops being an alcoholic once they are one, even if they don't drink (or don't drink anymore)

I could go on, but truthfully, I was just putting it out there as a lot of people think that alcoholism is something they can turn off and on. But, I don't want to rain on JLP's thread, or his celebration. I work in the medical profession and deal with these types of issues regularly and sometimes can't turn away.

NOW BACK TO THE REGULAR THREAD

That first beer back will be damn good. Enjoy!

Oh ok, gotcha. When I read that I was thinking someone that has never drank could be considered an alcoholic and I was confused. Thanks! :mug:

Detox is for P@n5ie5! (And so is substituting less dirty words for dirty words...)

While away on business, drink your favorite beers. What she doesn't know, right??

MONKS detox WITH BEER!!

a buddy did a detox plan like that once....he didnt get off the toilet all week. its not a good idea, hopefully you still have time to talk her out of it

Eh it doesn't hurt if you come off of it properly. What happens to a lot of people who detox or diet, or whatever is they deprive their body of nutrients then when they get off of it they go back to their old diet but their body wants to hold onto the nutrients. That's why diets where you physically eat more generally help the most, like a diet heavy in leafy greens and lean proteins.

I want to know why you're trying some odd 7 day detox in the first place. 7 days isn't nearly enough time to remove any serious "toxins" that you may want to get rid of.

7 days is plenty of time to detox if you water fast

woknblues, thanks.

Homercidal, I agree on a large part, but I have a bunch of nay saying friends who don't think that I can do it.

hoppyhoppyhippo, we are going to ensure that we come off of this diet in a healthy way. Also, I have that beer in the fridge now!

jerseyale, I can do a lot of things, but never ever that.

Zuljin, your right it is not. It's the grain/wheat that is not allowed essentially.

Back