Live beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twofieros

Lifetime Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
image-3836167148.jpg

image-1948165390.jpg

Is this a gimmick? I know yeast can be and probably are still alive if the beer isn't pasturized. Besides yeast what would make a beer live?

I've ready the yeast book but I don't recall anything about temps after fermentation. My best guess to this is they cooled the beer during fermentation to keep the gravity higher than it could have gone. Then if you warmed it up the yeast would start eating again. This doesn't seem logical when beer is bottles in glass and shipped. I would imagine bottle bombs happening.

Is there something with temperature I'm missing? Why would a beer have this label?

Well,the yeast may be dormant at the bottom of the bottle for the most part. But beer is considered alive since,unlike wine,you aren't killing the yeast to stop fermentation at a certain point to get consistent ABV. Kinda like yogurt,it has active yeast in it.

Yep, it's alive..... alive..... ALIVE!!!!

Any beer that hasn't been pasteurized has living yeast inside of it. It's not really a lie to put that on the bottle label. You could also put something like "living yeast culture" on it, which is what I sometimes like to put on an inventory label for shipping beer during bottle trades instead of "beer," which postal carriers sometimes frown at.

I guess my main question was missed.

Is it important to keep beer cold? I'm under the impression it isn't since the ferment able sugars have been consumed. Would warmer temps cause the yeast to decompose faster? Would this beer be ruined if allowed to warm to room temp then cool again before drinking?

It's pretty much a gimmick. Like "Triple Hopped" Just about everyone does it, but only some use it for marketing.

The flavor will continue to evolve just like any other beer with live yeast, and that will happen faster if the beer is warm. Considering that the manufacture is recommending that you don't allow the beer to warm, and that this is a blond ale, it is probably not a good idea to age the beer any faster than necessary.

Latest posts

Back