Damn it people are frustrating - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Damn it people are frustrating

Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 855 Times on 626 Posts

I advise people not to give anything, although I have heard the advice to keep a little cash in an easily accessible place to give up if someone attempts to rob you. Personally, I tell people to immediately run while screaming anything you want to say very loudly, unless of course there's a weapon displayed.

Robbery was a very common crime where I used to work, so I have a ton to experience with them. The vast majority of the time, when the victim fights back or flees, the perp gives up.

By the way, no robbery tonight. We're arguing over what we got right now but it's definitely not a robbery.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Sac City, IA
Liked 370 Times on 221 Posts

I've heard of guys carrying "drop wallets" -- a second, cheap wallet with a couple bucks and some junk cards - the unactivated fake ones that get sent in the mail to attempt to get you to sign up for the real card (but nothing with your actual name on it). They carry their real wallet in the left pocket, or a front pocket, and the drop in the right rear. That way if they get mugged, they can toss the fake on at the bad guy.

Now, most of the places I've heard of this are on concealed carry forums, with the idea that you toss the fake to distract the BG long enough to draw your self defense weapon.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
MalFet
/bɪər nɜrd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2010
NYC / Kathmandu
Liked 1474 Times on 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwolf
I've heard of guys carrying "drop wallets" -- a second, cheap wallet with a couple bucks and some junk cards - the unactivated fake ones that get sent in the mail to attempt to get you to sign up for the real card (but nothing with your actual name on it). They carry their real wallet in the left pocket, or a front pocket, and the drop in the right rear. That way if they get mugged, they can toss the fake on at the bad guy.
I have to confess, I find this completely bizarre. Are people getting mugged so frequently (or carrying so much cash) that it's worth the trouble to carrying around a decoy every day of their lives?

I knew a guy who wore a helmet any time he went outside because he was terrified of falling debris. If I were that nervous about the outside, I'd probably just never leave the house.

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
CoalCracker

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Macungie, Pa
Liked 106 Times on 65 Posts

^^ Sounds like that guy had Agoraphobia. Afraid of open spaces.

I had an ex that developed that and would have random panic attacks when outside for no reason. Fing weird.

I live in a very calm, relatively crime free area so when I go into a city, I become almost hyper aware of my surroundings. If I see someone that gives me a bad feeling. I do what i can to avoid them. My fiance finds it funny the things I see around me when I'm like that.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
birdroad
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Miami, FL
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I am not sure about all these strategies to prevent loosing too much money in a mugging. All that seems overkill.... How often do you get mugged? If you can just try to run, scream and shout. But really just give them what they want - its not worth risking more to save your wallet/cell phone. Unless you are trained special forces you run the risk of something far worse if you try to fight them.

As for giving money, I don't give beggars money on the street. That is really never a good idea, but I do want to help the less fortunate. So I donate money to charities. That way I know my charitable giving is actually helping someone and I am safe too...

Primary: Imperial Stout
Secondary: Session Oatmeal Stout
Bottled:American Red Ale; "Earthy" IPA; Oaked Pumpkin Spice Ale

Old 12-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
thood6

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

I'm sure the stagger I had from too much to drink made me a target. Honestly in that situation I'm not sure a gun would have been a good idea. I have enough accuracy issues with my 1911 without booze and thousands of people. Oh and luckily I had most of my money in my back pocket so he only got away with 26 bucks.

Primary: CDJ IPA #1, Sea Cow Pale #1
Secondary: HUH?
Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Keg: Pumpkin Porter, Vanilla Porter
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1

Old 12-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
whoaru99
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Liked 140 Times on 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thood6 View Post
Honestly in that situation I'm not sure a gun would have been a good idea.
Probably not. Even though I'm all for carry permits if so inclined, I don't think getting punched in the lip is legal grounds for shooting someone when they're running away with your wallet.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #18
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

Craziest drunk "giving" story I heard wound up in the New York Post.

Woman having a cigarette outside bar is rather inebriated. Man approaches her and asks if she has a dollar because he wants to buy pizza and a beer. She, stupidly, says "no all my money is on my card."

He offers to take her card and bring it back. Unbelievably... she does, and asks for him to bring her back a pack of cigarettes as well.

Even more unbelievably, he takes it, buys pizza, beer, and cigarettes, and returns with the card and nic-sticks like 20 minutes later.

My city is weird and rough, but there's a reason we live here...

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #19
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

*Repeated message*

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Craziest drunk "giving" story I heard wound up in the New York Post.

Woman having a cigarette outside bar is rather inebriated. Man approaches her and asks if she has a dollar because he wants to buy pizza and a beer. She, stupidly, says "no all my money is on my card."

He offers to take her card and bring it back. Unbelievably... she does, and asks for him to bring her back a pack of cigarettes as well.

Even more unbelievably, he takes it, buys pizza, beer, and cigarettes, and returns with the card and nic-sticks like 20 minutes later.

My city is weird and rough, but there's a reason we live here...
Unfortunately, the store that allowed the man to use her card could be sued, or at the very least in hot water. Failing to ask for ID, when the card has a woman's name on it, and it's a man standing there using it, should (at least) get the person who processed the transaction reprimanded.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine