Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Adding lactose at bottling

Old 12-08-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
maestro_wu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Adding lactose at bottling

Hi all,

According to this post:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/rera...ml#post2877623

I can get ~ 1.6 lbs of lactose to dissolve into a gallon of water. Now, I don't think I need quite that much, but I have read that somewhere between 0.5 and 1 lb is a good idea for my goals. (To make a potentially too-sour cider less so.)

My question is: should I just pour the lactose into the bottom of the pale, then rack the cider into it, to mix it up, or do I have to (potentially) add it to a lot (0.25 - 0.5 gallons) of water, boil that, then rack into that instead?

I'm looking to avoid making my brew too sour, but don't want to water it down, either.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Old 12-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts
Likes Given: 6068

I just made my first cider a few weeks ago and I added lactose at bottling. It turned out great. Still a dry cider, but not so dry as to pucker the mouth. What I did was dissolve a pound of lactose in maybe 1-2 quarts of hot water, dissolved my priming sugar into the lactose solution and bottled as normal. I also used gelatin for clarification, in case you wanted to know, but it's obviously irrelevant to the topic hand.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter