Oh no!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joehova44

Reaction score
I was so excited for my idea to turn my porter recipe into a vanilla java porter. In addition to my base porter kit I decided to add vanilla extract and coffee. When it can down to buying the coffee I decided why not buy vanilla flavored coffee to add to the flavor..... Not so sure this was a good idea. I also decided last minute to just dump some of the pre ground coffee straight into the primary in hopes thinking that in 24-48 hours it would just settle and would be left behind.

My concerns are;
1.) I think the vanilla flavor of the coffee is way to strong, more on the aroma side then the flavor. Will this decrease with age. And if so would it be better to age in the fridge or room temp (beer is in the keg)?
2.) not all the coffee settled. I think I have been able to get most out now because the keg allows me to keep pumping trub off the bottom. Will any remaining bits ruin the beer?

Why couldn't I just make a reg porter........

I think you'll be ok. It will mellow with time. It will mellow at room temps faster than it will cold. When I did the coffee addition to one of my beers I cold steeped 1cup of coffee grinds in 4cups of water In the fridge for a few days then poured it through a coffee filter in a strainer then added it to the bottling bucket/keg. It came out with pretty good results.

Back