Storing grains mixed/crushed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galactik

Reaction score
Silly question, but something that I have never bothered to find out.

I am planning a all grain brew this weekend. I store all my grains in seperate containers. ON brew day, I assemble my grain bill and then mill as my strike water is heating.

Is it ok to grind all my grains mixed together and store them a few days before my brew day? I have never ordered a all grain kit before so I dont know if they are shipped in separate bags or in one.

I guess I was concerned about grains absorbing the aroma or flavor of other grains. Again, silly question but just something that I am not clear on.

You're good. Brew on.

Milled grain will last a good number of months and if you are using all the mixed grain for the same recipe, its all getting mixed anyways.

Is it ok to grind all my grains mixed together and store them a few days before my brew day?
I typically mill my grains the day or two before and store them all together in a 5 gallon bucket.
I have never ordered a all grain kit before so I dont know if they are shipped in separate bags or in one.
depends on where you orderd them from and if you specified to keep them seperate or combine them into one grain bill.

I usually end up milling on brew day. I weigh out the grains into a 5 gallon bucket then collect the milled grain in another one. If I were to brew later I would just put a good sealed lid on it and store in a cool place.

This was oddly enough something that ran across my mind today on the way home from the LHBS. Would it make any difference in the end product if the grains for a specific recipe hung out together all crushed for a bit before brewing?

Have you ever bought a multi-grain cereal? They are all mixed together and crushed, yet the cereal will taste good (as good as cereal ever does :)) and will still taste pretty fresh for weeks or even months. Yet we assume that milled grains will be bad after a couple days.

Have you ever bought a multi-grain cereal? They are all mixed together and crushed, yet the cereal will taste good (as good as cereal ever does :)) and will still taste pretty fresh for weeks or even months. Yet we assume that milled grains will be bad after a couple days.

Those cereals are loaded with BHT and cooked. I suppose the grains are cooked, but they're preservative-free. As long as you keep your grains cool, dry, and drier still, they'll be fine for more than a few days.

Back